Skip to main content

Announcements

This week’s Community Announcements 4.9.21

Maryann
Happy Friday everyone! I’ve got some exciting news to share: Next week, The Penny Hoarder will be hosting a Facebook Live Q&A with Erin Lowry of Broke Millennial. Here’s where you can get a reminder for the live event , which is on Tuesday, April 13 at 1 p.m. EST. We’ll discuss how to navigate awkward financial conversations with the people in your life. Share your questions for Erin Lowry during the virtual event, and you’ll be entered into a giveaway to win a free copy of her book...Read More...
Looks good! Even for a non-millennial 🙂Read More...
thanks, but i will be at work at that time sorry to miss thisRead More...
Last Reply By KellyFromKeene · First Unread Post

What we're talking about...

Vehicle

KellyFromKeene
Good morning! I need to purchase a new (used) crossover/smallish SUV. Does anyone have recommendations for Make/Model that you love? Or hate? And why!Read More...
Have heard that people who drive Subaru's are unlikely to give them up for resale or trade. They just love them.Read More...
I love my Subaru Forester. It is fun to drive, gets great mileage and is very highly rated for its safety features and high resale value.Read More...
great, thank you!Read More...
Really like Hyundai's, great warranty! KIA's are up and coming also. If you are considering a Hyundai, the Santa Fe has more storage than a Tucson.Read More...
Last Reply By redcatcec · First Unread Post

Financial Services

Janice Leigh Fletcher
Do anyone feel taking survey's could help you financially?Read More...
thanks for sharingRead More...
It could be a good way, but I've had more luck with Amazon's Mechanical Turk: https://www.mturk.com/ I also participate in focus groups. Here are some sites to start with: respondent.io https://findfocusgroups.com/ https://focusgroups.org/ Also check Craigslist's Etc. (Jobs section) and Gigs Here is a paid site to find focus groups (I think they charge like $7.95 per month): https://www.bayareafocusgroups.com/ Good luck!Read More...
Last Reply By irishnanny · First Unread Post

Parents can be great money managers or have very limited money skills, do you think how they handle money influences their children?

Children see and imitate parents, do you feel the parents should share financial decisions with their children?Read More...
Most kid have no sense of money - what people earn or save and what things cost, what it costs to retire, etc.. Unless they get an exposure or education on this, chances are they may simply emulate what they see their parents do or perhaps what they think their peers or friend's parents do. Parents have to be careful of raising entitled kids. They also have to be careful of raising kids who are envious of others and the money they think others have. The reality is that the neighbor in the...Read More...
Yes, parents' attitudes towards money definitely influence their children. When I was growing up, my Dad was "tight with a dollar" as we used to say and Mom was the opposite. She changed a bit once she retired. I got many more of Dad's saving genes than Mom's spending ones.Read More...
Absolutely. If the parents act like money grows on trees and gives Junior everything, then Junior gets a rude Awakening when he grows up and finds out that money is finite. If you teach your kids no skills about money, they grow up and do the same stupid you did. My kids have been taught to not do what we did - that owing money limits choices, including where you work. They are working, paying rent, and saving money.Read More...
Absolutely- in an age appropriate way! I am teaching both teen boys about money- how to save, spend, give, pay bills, budget, etc. Its so important to be prepared BEFORE going out on their own. I share my budget and have them sit with me when I pay bills and we discuss many things. Not all though.Read More...
Last Reply By Phil H. · First Unread Post

Community Buzz

Vehicle

KellyFromKeene
Good morning! I need to purchase a new (used) crossover/smallish SUV. Does anyone have recommendations for Make/Model that you love? Or hate? And why!Read More...
Have heard that people who drive Subaru's are unlikely to give them up for resale or trade. They just love them.Read More...
I love my Subaru Forester. It is fun to drive, gets great mileage and is very highly rated for its safety features and high resale value.Read More...
great, thank you!Read More...
Really like Hyundai's, great warranty! KIA's are up and coming also. If you are considering a Hyundai, the Santa Fe has more storage than a Tucson.Read More...

What to do in retirement?

Hi i am going crazy trying to decide what to do in retirement. I would love to buy a house with my probable savings in two years and then work part time. The landlord here has been kicking out disabled people over the past year and I want a place to fall back on in case my disabled friend gets kicked out. I also want to have a house where i can get a HELO in case of true emergencies. I am not good at keeping my hand out of the savings cookie jar. What would you do in retirement? I am trying...Read More...
SHurly: Sounds like the bigger question to first answer is whether or not your are financially able to retire and also take on a mortgage. While part time jobs are possible, I would be careful about relying on a part time job to pay the mortgage during retirement. As you get older, you may not be able to work part time. If your mortgage is at risk of this (and loss of your home), I would want to be sure you can afford a home without a part time job.Read More...
This is 1 year and 4 months in to retirement, it is an adjustment period, a big one. The structure of a regular job is gone, no meeting policy and procedure. No even answering to an alarm clock, driving to work or home again...all gone. It is up to me to figure out what to do all day and i am making plans. I don't like to read, after years of college and the job, I decided I just don't like it. For those that enjoy it, best to you and hopefully you'll continue.Read More...
thanks every one for your post i always learn from you allRead More...
The truly wonderful thing about being retired for me has been not feeling compelled to have a plan per se. I've been such a planner all my life ,but I've thoroughly enjoyed these past three years of retirement just sort of going with the flow. I enjoy completing surveys and participating in focus groups, I'm a member of three book clubs (yes, I absolutely love to read), Alzheimer's Association is my cause. My husband is a driver who transports cars from place to place and sometimes I go with...Read More...

Parents can be great money managers or have very limited money skills, do you think how they handle money influences their children?

Children see and imitate parents, do you feel the parents should share financial decisions with their children?Read More...
Most kid have no sense of money - what people earn or save and what things cost, what it costs to retire, etc.. Unless they get an exposure or education on this, chances are they may simply emulate what they see their parents do or perhaps what they think their peers or friend's parents do. Parents have to be careful of raising entitled kids. They also have to be careful of raising kids who are envious of others and the money they think others have. The reality is that the neighbor in the...Read More...
Yes, parents' attitudes towards money definitely influence their children. When I was growing up, my Dad was "tight with a dollar" as we used to say and Mom was the opposite. She changed a bit once she retired. I got many more of Dad's saving genes than Mom's spending ones.Read More...
Absolutely. If the parents act like money grows on trees and gives Junior everything, then Junior gets a rude Awakening when he grows up and finds out that money is finite. If you teach your kids no skills about money, they grow up and do the same stupid you did. My kids have been taught to not do what we did - that owing money limits choices, including where you work. They are working, paying rent, and saving money.Read More...
Absolutely- in an age appropriate way! I am teaching both teen boys about money- how to save, spend, give, pay bills, budget, etc. Its so important to be prepared BEFORE going out on their own. I share my budget and have them sit with me when I pay bills and we discuss many things. Not all though.Read More...

This week’s Community Announcements 4.9.21

Maryann
Happy Friday everyone! I’ve got some exciting news to share: Next week, The Penny Hoarder will be hosting a Facebook Live Q&A with Erin Lowry of Broke Millennial. Here’s where you can get a reminder for the live event , which is on Tuesday, April 13 at 1 p.m. EST. We’ll discuss how to navigate awkward financial conversations with the people in your life. Share your questions for Erin Lowry during the virtual event, and you’ll be entered into a giveaway to win a free copy of her book...Read More...
Looks good! Even for a non-millennial 🙂Read More...
thanks, but i will be at work at that time sorry to miss thisRead More...
Last Reply By KellyFromKeene · First Unread Post

That free gift is not free

Hi Unfortunately a family member ordered a free watch with shipping. It turns out that the peace of crap watch later caused a charge of $91. Watch didn’t even work. And not only that when I called they wouldn’t refund the money and said I had a subscription. A subscription to review crappy watches that don’t work. After talking to my bank and visa, they said there was nothing I could do about it. I’m going to contact Visa again because I feel they are complicit if they allow these companies...Read More...
thanks for sharing there are so many scams out there todayRead More...
There are plenty of scams going with a free shipping offer and plenty of them coming from the internet. The ones you need to REALLY beware of are the ones like yours or where you get vitamins or something else for the cost of shipping. Then they nail your card to the tune of hundreds of dollars a month. There is no way to stop the charging, except to close the card. You can't regulate them because the charges usually come from a foreign country where the FTC laws don't apply. Moral of the...Read More...

Financial Services

Janice Leigh Fletcher
Do anyone feel taking survey's could help you financially?Read More...
thanks for sharingRead More...
It could be a good way, but I've had more luck with Amazon's Mechanical Turk: https://www.mturk.com/ I also participate in focus groups. Here are some sites to start with: respondent.io https://findfocusgroups.com/ https://focusgroups.org/ Also check Craigslist's Etc. (Jobs section) and Gigs Here is a paid site to find focus groups (I think they charge like $7.95 per month): https://www.bayareafocusgroups.com/ Good luck!Read More...

what surprised you most as a new homeowner

What expenses surprised you the most as a new homeowner? What advice would you give to someone who is anticipating a home purchase?Read More...
I don't own a home if i don't in not awear of it i live in apartmentRead More...
...and the work never stops on a home. There is always something to do.Read More...
Recurring taxes (city/county), evaluations, increasing homeowners taxes, etc.Read More...
In my first home, I was surprised at how many projects there were ... never gave much thought to painting the walls as when you rent that isn't something you just change on your own, never questioned electrical system - until wanting to put in hot tub, never questioned heating system - until wanting to add central air.....some projects were DIY and other required professionals....Read More...
Last Reply By Janice Leigh Fletcher · First Unread Post

Balance transfers

If you have a 7.99% credit card with a balance that your are trying to payoff, would it make sense to apply for a 0% apr for 18 months? After 18 months the APR would be more than I am paying now, 11% or more, if I'm unable to make the payoff within 18 months. Should I just keep what I have and to pay it off at 7.99%Read More...
A few years back we were in a similar situation as Frances-only it was a loan, there was a transfer fee from the credit card where we'd be borrowing the $, can't remember what it was. It was a temporary fix which worked out well with the effort to get rid of the loan and pay off the cc. There was no juggling of numbers to try to work the system in case the worse happened and the payoff was out of sight which is easy to do in your mind, but in actuality is a hot mess to remember. Feet to the...Read More...
There are no fees to transfer but I was thinking as you said. If I can't pay within the months given for the transfer I haven't helped myself. I am trying to pay less interest so I can add more to the monthly payment. As it stands now the payment is a little high, kinda hard to add additional money. Thanks for your reply, appreciatedRead More...
There are plenty of factors to consider here. Does the 0% card have a fee for transfer? If they charge a 3% fee to transfer, your difference is 4.99%. Is they charge a 5% transfer fee, your difference is 2.99%. Are you going to be able to pay off the balance? If not, can they make the interest retroactive? If so, then you are paying interest on the original balance from the time of the transfer, which actually makes your situation worse. I personally think that it may be more aggravation...Read More...
Share a tip / Ask a Question