Skip to main content

General Discussion

Budget Saving Information

tlynne
Hi. I am looking for information on how to create a budget to save money.Read More...
I use Mint. I get tempted by YNAB and attend some of their learning session, but just can't seem to wrap my head around it. I understand the concept of zero-based budgeting, but all the pushout categories with YNAB leaves me confused so I've just stuck with Mint since 2014.Read More...
You need to find the right tool for you. I was horrible at budgeting and controlling spending until I began using YouNeedABudget.com. With its tutorial videos and budgeting help videos it is an invaluable resource. There are many great budgeting tools out there so just try them until you find the one that works for you.Read More...
Last Reply By sthom · First Unread Post

Verification of offers

Bobbi Jones
Hi there! I'm new so I'm not sure if I'm in the right place, but I received an offer from a company to put a sticker on my vehicle for ad purposes. The money they said they pay is a bit outrageous and I just don't know how to verify it. The offer is apparently separate from the company itself. There's probably a real simple way to do this but I usually miss the simple stuff and go right for the complicated. 😏Read More...
Yes, these scams are horrible. I have a cousin who got caught up in one who depleted he and his wife's savings accounts. On top of that, turns out the police was watching the company and he got caught up in the illegal mess...arrested! Be careful.Read More...
Hi David, Good for you, you made the right decision.Read More...

Hello new members!

Briana
Hello and welcome to the new Penny Hoarder Community! My name is Briana, a Social Media & Community Strategist at The Penny Hoarder. I'm in the process of paying off credit card debt and establishing a healthy relationship with my finances. I'm also saving for a long-awaited trip to Greece next year!Read More...
Happy to have you join us .Read More...
Hi My name is Collins Omondi and I am so excited to be here,I want to save money so that I can start my own business. ThanksRead More...
Last Reply By Fredia Stills · First Unread Post
Page

Possible Divorce

Misty
It may come to pass that my husband and I divorce. I'm an unemployed mother (I retired from my job as process server to have my child and won't go back to it as I feel it's too dangerous). I know I NEED a job ASAP but I'm struggling on what to do next. I've been a process server for 10 years and don't want to go back into it. Should I just start looking for customer service jobs? Write out a list as to what I'm good at (skills, etc)? Go with a seasonal job? Any tips?Read More...
When I went through my divorce and had to change jobs, I went with a temp agency. My first temp job was perfect, and led me to another which was a permanent position. Temp agencies often know what's coming open and have a variety of positions.Read More...
Hey Misty, Best to you.Read More...
Last Reply By KellyFromKeene · First Unread Post

Hello.

Joshua Seavey
To whom it may concern. I think I’m on penny hoarders email list but I’m not sure. I didn’t receive any emails about possible ways to make money online today. I know I have a profile on here but I need to know how to receive emails everyday. If anyone can help me with this I would appreciate it. Thank you.Read More...
I am guessing it happened on accident when I hit delete from my cellphone. Screens jiggle and spam instead of delete occurred. Please reinstate, thank youRead More...
@Jeff . Hey Jeff - we sent you our new special edition newsletter, Debit and Credits, which you marked as spam. Not sure if that was intentional -- but it caused your subscription to be terminated. Let us know if you want us to reinstate it for you. Thanks for reaching out.Read More...
Last Reply By Jeff · First Unread Post

Hello

Joshua Seavey
Hey everyone. Just thought I’d introduce myself and make myself known on here. Nice to meet you all. I’m using penny hoarder to find ways to earn money from home. So far everything I’ve looked at on this site requires experience. I’ll keep looking everyday but if anybody knows of anything that I can do that doesn’t require any specific skills or experience please let me know. I’m also looking for ways to get training in online and computer skills but am looking for entry level work or just...Read More...
Hello I’m as well new and I would be glad if somebody help us to get more information about how to make money as well . I signed this website looking to get extra income I’m a mother and I have two kids so if somebody can help us navigate.. thank uRead More...
Last Reply By Catrachita Blogs · First Unread Post

I'm brand new-need advice

Max
How can I check out one of these companies like "Aspiration" before I give them personal information. The thought of linking them to my bank account scares the daylights out of me. But I also want to make money if it's all safe and legit.Read More...
I would make sure they are FDIC insured for at least the minimum before I would do any business. I actually saw one of the companies has four times the average FDIC Insurance of the current institutions I use now!Read More...
Linking other portals to my bank account scares me too Max! Most of the time, the savings don't justify the risk of potential hacking or just due to a company that doesn't have a strong track record of success. The younger people (I'm retired) seem to be more accepting of placing all these linking apps on their phones.Read More...
Last Reply By Brooks Cadorin · First Unread Post

Newest member

Scotirish
This is awkward. I'm not sure how to start a new post or new topic. So I'll go back to here and start from scratch. Does anyone here have experience or knowledge about how to LEARN and study for a Series 6 license. I don't have a lot of questions about it because I don't know anything about it.Read More...
wow the things i learn from you all, thank youRead More...
Check this out @ScotirishRead More...
Last Reply By irishnanny · First Unread Post

How do you deal with mooching family members and friends?

Maryann
I was listening to a podcast where a guest who recently came into money was asked how she deals with mooching family members or friends. It got me thinking about this a lot! As you've gotten your finances in order, have you personally experienced this? Whether it's the friend who only reaches out when they need an extra buck or the family member who can't seem to get it together, I was curious to know how you all deal with friends or family who mooch off of you. Does anyone have any special...Read More...
i so enjoy learning from you all i have a granddaughter who is always asking for 30.00 dollars every other week, always pays me back, but i just wish she could make her paycheck last to the next one, other then that i play the poor me mom and grand mother, i save my money, i am on a fixed income, my husband who passed taught me how to save, and i am greatful for thatRead More...
You're probably right about being blamed by in-laws if your husband and brother have a rift. This year has thrown everyone for a loop! I hope it all works out for you and your family.Read More...
Page

Money

Anth Cast
So I have a $1 bill with serials 02270226 how much can I ask for it? I just started doing all this coin and dollar stuff and I was wondering if I can get some money out of this one.Read More...
You could check out the appropriately named coolserialnumbers.com which lists a whole range of interesting patterns with fancy names like Double Quads and Super Repeaters, (click "Fancy Serial #s" on left sidebar). Unfortunately, I don't think your number corresponds to any of them. They will do an appraisal, but for an up-front fee of $2 ... which for a $1 bill makes it a bit of a crapshoot! Also, as the saying goes, Google (or Duck Duck Go or whoever) is your friend here. Something like...Read More...
You might try a coin collector on line, get multiple ones.Read More...
Last Reply By Lee Linden · First Unread Post

Is college right for you?

A Penny Pincher's Guide
College is a major investment, in both time and money. Of all the students that begin a four year degree program, only 60% actually graduate. So for the 40% that drop out for one reason or another, it would have been better for them (financially) if they never went to college in the first place. This is in combination with the massive students loans some take to finance their degree. It's one thing to waste money that you have, it's another to waste money from a loan that you have to pay...Read More...
I think that high schools have become ridiculous with pushing college. College isn't for everyone. The trades are suffering for decent help. For the 60% that have graduated, how many students have chosen the wrong major and cannot find work? How many are saddled with loans they have a hard time paying back? What emphasis is put on scholarships, saving for education? How come when the government got involved in student loans, the price of college skyrocketed?Read More...
@irishnanny thanks, I hope it can be helpful! @BeckAtsila absolutely, the military is an excellent option for college tuition assistance. I'm thoroughly appreciating it helping to pay for my MBA right nowRead More...
Last Reply By AnnieB · First Unread Post

The Sharing Economy

The Sharing Economy has slowly changing the economic landscape of things. It is based on pooling and exchanging services, resources, goods, time, knowledge and skills. It strongly relies on social and ecological values and it’s also based on the belief that using is more important than owning or possessing. Uber - carpooling Airbnb - living spaces My Garage Rentals - everyday items and tools *The sharing economy and the traditional rental sector projected revenue opportunity in 2025 is of...Read More...
We appreciate your opinion. Each one of the big companies mentioned started small. We would love it if you start supporting small businesses like ours! Plus, we have $1000 guarantee for all of your posted items for rent. Hope to see you there!Read More...
You're really pushing your website here. Nice that you try to lump it in with some big companies. Good luck.Read More...
Last Reply By My Garage · First Unread Post

Derek Brammer
Dear Penny Hoarder; I have 3 separate 401K accounts from 2 different employers and a personal 401K & Roth on my own. Should I combine these to one account or leave them as they are? ThanksRead More...
Veronika is rightRead More...
We have separate IRAs and 401k accounts. We are not combining them. ERISA protects employer sponsored IRAs and 401ks from creditors except for IRS if they remain under the employer plan.Read More...
Last Reply By JonianNoxha · First Unread Post
Among my favorites are Quora and Medium. I also see many Quora answers showing up in Google search results for high volume search phrases. There are several great sites like the Penny Hoarder to be a member off. But it always is and always will be about offering value. Personally I think audiences are getting rather annoyed with copy/paste content. Being a member on these high authority sites like the Penny Hoarder. Is all about building recognition and gaining trust through presentation.Read More...
Oh, I do like some Reddit financial feeds for Mint and YNAB. I don't use YNAB but like reading about it. I do subscribe to Mint (which I mainly use for tracking) for 6 years now. Where'd the time go?Read More...
Ditto, @Moore Income . Noting to compare. I subscribe to various financial sites, but no forums other than a medical forum. PH is tops in my opinion.Read More...

Health Savings Account

Derek Brammer
Dear Penny Hoarder; I have a health savings account from a previus employer with UMB. I fully understand the importance of this financial tool, however I find it very dismaying that it does not earn any interest and I am being charged $4-5.00 a month for fees. I rarely use it because I try to stay healthy and cannot believe that I am losing $50.00 a year for UMB to hold my money. Any suggestions? ThanksRead More...
Wow, @Derek Brammer . I have an Optum HSA and it charges $1 monthly service fee and I was complaining about that amount.Read More...
Don't put anything more into it. Instead, open a savings account and put whatever you normally contribute into that account. Then if you need the money, it's there drawing interest or if you need it for something non-medical, it's there for that too.Read More...

Life changing decisions

Hi, I have some life-changing decisions that I'm about to make from buying a house to buying a car dada dada dada. For about a month now, I have been weighing out the decision of using a financial firm to manage investments where I'm charged 1.25% per quarter or something like that also along with a life insurance plan where I have to make contributions towards it in addition to my initial premium of about $12,000 I think. I also had an art investment firm that I was curious about but when...Read More...
Do you know of any websites to sell a car on aside from FaceBook, Craigslist, Vroom, Peddle and eBay?Read More...
Thank you so much for the response. I'm processing it all. Hate to still have to go back to the drawing board but I'm willing to take my time since my money is very serious to me.Read More...
Last Reply By mememe · First Unread Post

What are your rules when it comes to relationships and money?

Maryann
Hey everyone! We recently published this Dear Penny Q&A over on The Penny Hoarder, and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it! It's this one: " Dear Penny: My boyfriend won't tell me how much he owes. Can I pull his credit? " Interestingly, I was also reading Marie Claire's Couples + Money column this week. It's fascinating to me how different couples have different "rules" or guidelines to managing money within their relationship. It got me thinking — what are your guidelines and...Read More...
relationships and money, that takes communication, communication, communication. and an exit plan, particularly if you are not married. by Exit Plan, I mean, right now, while you are in love, what would you think is a fair split if you did have to break up? No one is in any shape to decide this when they are already in the breakup. In my own case, he owns and I am a renter in his house. If we do any large home improvements, we keep receipts in an envelope, with the plan that if we ever break...Read More...
We have had joint finances since 2008, except for retirement accounts. We are the beneficiaries on each others accounts. We decided joint accounts work for us. I am the nerd, he is the free spirit. I am the financial person who pays the bills, gets out taxes done, etc. We are debt free, except a tiny mortgage. We have a great emergency fund, and we pay cash for everything. It works for us. I did know his one debt before he moved in, and his credit score(2005). I feel people should ask to see...Read More...
Last Reply By Omi · First Unread Post

I am so done...

Maybe someone can help me understand how people think or just dont think at all?? Ive been going through some health isuues the past 8 months. We do have good medical insurance through my job, so thankfully not too many out-of-pocket expenses so far. I have been out of work for several months after two surgeries and ran out of sick pay about two weeks ago. We are okay with my husband's income but Im being super tight with funds in case I need more (hopefully, hopefully not) medical care. The...Read More...
People can be thoughtless and selfish so perhaps it was a case of just not realizing how much you are going thru. Just ignore them no need to feel any pressure to finance someone elses lifestyle.Read More...
Sorry to hear about your health conditions and surgeries. People do not think! Some days it seems as if they wake up and think 'if she can afford to not work then they must have extra money, let me see if I can get some'......... Hope your recovery goes smoothly.Read More...
Last Reply By Leslie Kay · First Unread Post

What Would You Do If You Won The Lottery?

Moore Income
By no means am I an advocate of playing the lottery... but I am curious to hear others point of view on the topic. I personally do not think it is a wise financial decision but it can be interesting to think about what you might personally do if you were to win a boatload of cash. There have been quite a few examples of people who won multi-million dollar lotteries who ended up losing it all in a matter of years. With that in mind, I think it is safe to say that just because you have a lot...Read More...
It goes you have to play to win, of course. We would make sure of what we have won after taxes and go from there. No matter what the amount of money we would not say anything to anybody because that encourages those who come out of the wood work. A few years back my husband won $5,000 from a PA scratch-off, we told no one, his adult son saw this in the lottery list of winners and was too curious about it. It may sound cynical, but we have watched family members and see how they manage their...Read More...
first i would help my family, that have been in my life, then give to many charities, and make sure i don't get crazy and spend on things i lived with out before i wonRead More...
Last Reply By redcatcec · First Unread Post

Do You Trust Your Family With Your Money?

Moore Income
There have been several great discussions here in the community about the topic of money in relation to relatives. Today's question comes from a personal lesson that has been difficult to learn. How much do you trust your family when it comes to finances and specifically your finances? Do they have your back or are they always trying to take from you or just don't even care? Up until recently, I would have trusted anyone in my immediate family to have my best interests in mind when it comes...Read More...
wow what a great question, i do trust my son he is so much like his dad on saving money and paying all bills on time and not using credit cards unless need be, my daughter on the other hand, i co=signed for her and her husband, they do make all payments but i told them after this your on your own, i gave you a chance to build your credit up, i hope they learn their lessonRead More...
Very sorry you went through all this. // Been burned too. Husband's younger sister constantly on the edge financially and though our means were small, helped to bail her out. "Loans". Then one time we couldn't help and she blew up. So Husband told her what we made and she stopped asking. She's also hit up other family members. Her older sister died in massive debt. (She helped her often.) Low and behold when the well went dry, she figured it out. //So most family members, no. Only a few...Read More...

Giving to Charity

Moore Income
Do you give to any charities? I am personally trying to improve in the area of giving. My mentor has taught me that if you don't give even when finances are tight, you won't be a giver when you are financially free and have a lot of money. I am just wondering what others perspective is on giving, and especially giving to charitable organizations. Not every charity is the same in that some of them give a majority of the donations to the actual cause while others take a lot of the money for...Read More...
my donations are St.Jude cancer heart food bank and our vetsRead More...
over time collected requests from a number of organizations and sorted into broad categories: youth, seniors, environment. Found local organizations in those categories. Also signed up for monthly sustaining subscriptions for local PBS and NPR stations. Gift giving includes subscriptions to magazines which support charitable organizations.Read More...
Page

Plastic straws are destroying our planet

lori wulff
I recently read that the amount of plastic straws is the size of a large state. They are pooling in waters and destroying fish, plants, soil, etc.. Do you think plastic straws should be banned?? I say yes.Read More...
People have become used to the "mouth feel" of plastic straws and generally accept the alternatives as for the good of the planet. Personally I prefer no straw when at home or in a restaurant, but a straw is needed when in a vehicle because of spillage-the typical "to go cup". For that a spill proof container or 1 with the straw/spout in it already would be the best choice.Read More...
Yes! We really should ban any one-time use plastic. We need to take better care of our planet.Read More...
Last Reply By redcatcec · First Unread Post

Healthcare questions

Hi i am still on the healthcare journey. 25% of my life has been without healthcare so I feel for people who lost their job and healthcare this year. Luckily when the insurance company said my healthcare cost 2400 a month (when I lost my job a few years ago) I used ACA Obamacare to tide me over. I feel bad for anyone who is stuck between jobs if the government decides get rid of ACA. Or even those with pre existing conditions. Most people don’t know that the ACA provides rules to protect all...Read More...
Hi Oh and don’t get me started on the fact they want to take away SS. What do people think the payroll tax (SS) is? That funds SS!!! If you don’t find SS there is no SS. This needs another discussion. SharonRead More...
this is such a scary time for everyone who has to have medicar and worry about the payments and the co-paysRead More...
Last Reply By SHurley · First Unread Post