Skip to main content

Make Money

Featured Topics

The Cost of Renting

Sushil
Did you know that more than a third of American households are inhabited by renters? For those tenants, navigating the relationship with a landlord can be tricky. But renter's have rights (they vary by state and local jurisdiction). Learn more about general renter's rights , and learn tactics for negotiating lower rent (yes, it's possible!). And be sure to check out the interactive graphic below to see the cost of renting across the U.S. We want to know: How much of your income goes to rent...Read More...
Last Reply By A.J. Young Jr · First Unread Post

Topics

What's the best job or side gig you've ever had and why?

Maryann
I'm curious: what's a job you held that you just loved and why? For me, it was actually my first job as a teenager. I was a librarian's assistant. I basically spent every day near books. As a certified bookworm, it was a dream role and the additional pocket money was the cherry on the top, especially as a teen. I have a career in marketing now that I absolutely love, but when I think back, working at the library was definitely an amazing gig I'll always remember.Read More...
Last Reply By Angie P. · First Unread Post

Various jobs

Chrissy Goff
I cleaned houses for some elderly neighbors, I cleaned a thrift shop on weekends when they were closed and got to buy things at a discount. I do surveys and get paid in amazon cash and other gift cards. I replaced a termite infested wall of my garage with Lowes and Home Depot gift cards from doing surveys. My job is slow so I get to do most of my surveys at work, my boss isn't busy either so he doesn't mind as long as I do my job. LOLRead More...
Last Reply By irishnanny · First Unread Post

Making more money in a rural town/city

MountainFan
I've lived in this small town for about 6 years now & overall it's been nice. The small town vibe is usually great, though there are drawbacks just the same. Right now my biggest struggle is finding better jobs. I really hope y'all would have some good suggestions. I've tried to look this up, ask on Reddit, & talked with some people IRL to figure it out. I'm still stuck. I'm not really able to profit from a side-hustle as I'm already working full-time with a long commute. I am slowly...Read More...
Last Reply By SWP63 · First Unread Post

Are there any * legitimate * wfh jobs??

Manderz Panderz
I've always written content for textbroker, but like other content mills, I'm finding it just isn't worth it to slave over an awesome article all day (that I can't even keep the rights to) all to make $5-8. I applied at a few 'chat agent' remote jobs that I was SURE I had it in my cards to win...got to the second interview on BOTH and answered those questions flawlessly. In both cases, I got a generic email saying they were going to pick someone else... I have a long work history of customer...Read More...
Last Reply By Leta Muncie · First Unread Post

Need Some Help from Others much more experienced then me

Hi, New here I hope and pray all is going ok out there ? well where we at I have Disability‘s in early 50’s not on SSI wife works as cashier so I’m looking to make some money during the week or the day maybe spending an hour or two to help out only way I can from our place but thats it I can do at this time due to with my very bad dizziness I have vertigo I appreciate any help Please Stay Safe out their and God BlessRead More...
Last Reply By bushra Khan1 · First Unread Post

Working From Home Parents: What's it Really Like?

Gabby
So I'm a newer mom of two; oldest is 5 and just started school, the youngest is 5 months old. When youngest was born, I was really looking forward to going back to work and contributing to our income in some way. I was hoping to work from home (I will literally consider anything) but send the youngest off to daycare a few hours a day. Not only would that give me a bit of a mom break and sense of accomplishment, but it would give us some extra income to boost debt pay off and savings. Hubby...Read More...
Last Reply By Gabby · First Unread Post

Share your negotiation success story

Maryann
I've found that one key to financial freedom is just being comfortable making an ask. With that said, does anyone have a successful negotiation story to share Whether you negotiated a major purchase, salary, rent, or a bill, I'd love to hear about it! What did you negotiate? How did you go about the negotiation? And if you haven't negotiated successfully, I'd still love to hear about a time when you tried and what you learned from it. Hoping these success (or learning) stories will help us...Read More...
Last Reply By Geo · First Unread Post

Selling on Mercari

Molly Moorhead
Hey everyone! I'm Molly, an editor here at The Penny Hoarder. I recently started selling on Mercari and thought I would share my experience. I had only ever bought second-hand items on sites like ThredUp and Poshmark. (My most recent purchase is a Dooney & Bourke handbag I got on Poshmark for $99 that would have cost a few hundred new. I love it so much and love that I got it for a bargain!) I really never thought much about selling because it seemed like work, especially having to deal...Read More...
Last Reply By Moore Income · First Unread Post

Anyone else "bomb" at selling stuff online??

Arica
Im out of work during the summers, so I usually declutter and I decided to list some new items on offerup and craigslist. Ive had a couple nibbles but no serious buyers. I do post complete discriptions and numerous pictures but to date Ive sold nothing! I ask minimum return on stuff so Im starting to wonder if the ones who are interested are expecting it for free? Suggestions?Read More...
Last Reply By Debi Moore · First Unread Post

Is burnout inevitable when you work multiple jobs?

Tiffany Connors
Hi Penny Hoarders! Hope everyone’s having a good Thursday. I've been going through a money situation for the past year, and I was wondering how the rest of you handle this kind of thing. Early last summer, my husband and I realized we needed to replace our bathroom tub/shower and window — they were in really bad shape. The contractor gave us an estimate that was within our budget, but of course nothing ever goes as planned with home renos. The total cost ended up being 50% more than the...Read More...
Last Reply By sthom · First Unread Post

I feel stuck. How do I get my e-commerce biz going?

Christaine Griffin
It's hard to find something I am good at because I am stuck trying to have the right information. Like warning labels, name labels, ingredient labels etc. I tried making soaps, candles, foot scrubs but I can't seems to have the right information for the labels. I am very stuck on how sell to sale, labeling, and getting customers. What can I do?Read More...
Last Reply By Leta Muncie · First Unread Post

Should I create a LLC?

Hello Community! I've recently been looking into some extra ways to make some money and i'm thinking of creating and selling digital products(ebooks, templates, etc.). I wanted to know if any of you have experience with owning a LLC and if it would be beneficial for me(tax purposes wise) for the products to be created from an LLC vs. something just created by myself. Thanks so much for your help!Read More...
Last Reply By PiNaY · First Unread Post

Ideas on how to make $ at home

Tempestt Gebhardt
Looking for ideas to make $ from home. Preferably quick easy $ but really just $ period. When suggesting please be mindful that I’m “craft” challenged lol I see ideas for crafts online all the time, I love them, enjoy doing them but no matter what the craft is my outcome is that of an unsupervised kindergartener during art 🤦🏻‍♀️😂 (no I’m not exaggerating.) so making anything to sell is hard no so any other suggestions are much appreciated.Read More...
Last Reply By Maryann · First Unread Post

Working at home

Amy_patt
I love all the work PH puts into working from home and maintaining the job site. Vetting the companies before sharing postings, tips and advice, all great. So I was shocked when I saw that PH had many positions available but none classified as remote option possible. Could it be they don't follow their own advice?Read More...
Last Reply By Amy_patt · First Unread Post