Skip to main content

Save Money

Schloarships

Carmen Lin
Hello, I was wondering how we could apply for scholarships in this forum. I have been on a search for grants and it has been difficult finding ones that I would quickly receive results from. I'm far from seeing improvement, yet I am attempting to show restraint since I have just submitted numerous and are not anticipating the result. How should I respond while I wait? Should I communicate with them to perceive how they have receive their grants? How might I know when I receive one or not? In...Read More...
Last Reply By Angle Angleton · First Unread Post

It’s Time for a Pantry Raid!

Janet Keeler
Chicken and egg and beef prices, oh my! Food costs continue to rise for a lot of popular items but we’ve still got to eat, right? I try to maintain a well-stocked pantry (and fridge and freezer), so that I can whip up a meal by buying just a few things to augment. If I have eggs, it’s easy to make a frittata with fresh veggies bought at the last minute, frozen spinach from the freezer and grated Swiss cheese purchased on sale. A jar of red sauce, dried pasta and seasoned bread crumbs already...Read More...
Last Reply By Will S. · First Unread Post

How to Save a Bit Extra on Car Transport Cost

Daniel Moyanda
Regardless of the reason, if you need to ship your car, it can be a rather confusing experience — especially if you've never shipped a vehicle or have no clue where to start. Auto transport companies usually charge by the mile and there is no standard distance in which they will charge. The total cost of shipping can add up very quickly. There are ways to get a better price and save money with an auto transport company. Here are six tips to get a reasonable price and save money. 1. Get...Read More...
Last Reply By PiNaY · First Unread Post

Buying Generic Over Name Brand

Nicole D.
Who here opts for generic or store-brand products over brand-name items to save money? I know I do. Sometimes the savings are minor, like 20 cents off a can of beans, but other times, I can save over a dollar on an item by not going with the brand-name version. Of course, there are some products I'm picky about, like my moisturizing cream. I buy the Cetaphil brand because I feel like it's the best quality for my skin, even though the store-brand version is always cheaper. What things do you...Read More...
Last Reply By Daniel Moyanda · First Unread Post

Best discounts for seniors?

Will S.
While sadly I'm a few years off from being able to score on any senior discounts, I thought I'd share this article from The Penny Hoarder that is stirring a bit of buzz on the internet: 75 of the Best Senior Discounts for Food, Entertainment, Travel and More . I had no idea you could receive discounts on groceries, airfare and even your cell phone bill. Looks like it can all add up to save some serious money, which of course is pretty sweet. Do you take advantage of any of these discounts?Read More...

Are cheap travel options really worth it?

Joshua Pramis
Hey all! I’m a writer here at The Penny Hoarder and want to take a few minutes to talk about traveling on a budget. Whether it’s been out of necessity or simply my frugal sensibilities, I’ve always looked for the most affordable way to get from point A to point B, even if it came at the expense of my comfort. My thought being: I’d rather have a little extra in my pocket to spend on food and experiences. This all stemmed from my previous life as a New Yorker. Living in one of the most...Read More...
Last Reply By Big Lew · First Unread Post

Benefits of freelancing to earn money

Freelancing is a great way to make extra money during your downtime, and there are many platforms that allow you to advertise your services and find work. Some people choose to work from home, while others have their own offices or cubicle farms in a shared workspace. Freelancers can use their own time, skills, and creativity in order to earn decent money working on what they love with other people. There are many benefits of freelancing, including flexibility, job satisfaction, improved...Read More...
Last Reply By Maya Dutta · First Unread Post
Finding ways to save money isn’t always intuitive, so I’m curious about everyone’s tips and tricks to save a bit of extra cash. Share your secrets to better financial health, and post a few tips and tricks that you’ve discovered that others may have not stumbled upon. I want to know how you’ve been making life just a bit easier. To start, I’ll say that one of my tips and tricks is to subscribe to GrubHub+ if you are someone who orders out a lot. You get free delivery and the cost is only...Read More...
Last Reply By SWP63 · First Unread Post

The Financial Benefits of Living Your Best Life

ERoberts
I've noticed a theme in our "Save Money" vertical with many of our articles titled like, "How to Save Money Streaming" or, "10 Ways to Life-Hack Your Next Dinner Out". This got me thinking, why are we so focused on finding ways to save on activities that will always have a price tag attached to them when there are plenty of free (dare I say, more enriching ) substitutes? For example, substitute your nightly Netflix binge with a trip to your local library and hunt for a page turner. Benefits:...Read More...
Last Reply By sthom · First Unread Post

Tips and tricks to save money

If you have been thinking for a long time that you want to have a savings reserve but you never get it, in the following lines you can find a list of tricks to save money and tips so that you can achieve it. 1. Be careful where you keep your money You may have been in your bank for many years and it is comfortable to continue there, but many banks charge very expensive and sometimes abusive fees and interest. Research and analyze other banks to see if there are better options for saving...Read More...
Last Reply By Maya Dutta · First Unread Post

senior housing

irishnanny
i want to put my money into a market account or some kind of savings, my problems is i live in a senior complex that goes by your income, i'm afraid to show any money, because i think they can raise my rent. has anyone got any ideas on how to protect and invest??Read More...
Last Reply By irishnanny · First Unread Post

What’s Your Go-To Hack for Household Chores?

Janet Keeler
I don’t know about you, but the space under my kitchen (and bathroom) sink is full of products that I may have used just once. So many things to clean up so many messes, and yet they all seem to be collecting dust. Recently I learned that white vinegar can open clogged drains, baking soda cleans grout and the stains from coffee mugs, and peanut butter banishes the fishy stink from cookware. And I always have white vinegar, baking soda and peanut butter on hand. Why do I need to spend money...Read More...

Combatting the increase of gas prices

PolarMoney
So, gas in my area just hit $3.99 a gallon. I think it increased three times this week alone. What to do? I'm pulling out some of my old tricks. 1) Group errands 2) Drive the speed limit 3) Avoid starts and stops that jerk your speed. See a light is going to change red? Take you foot off the gas early, you'll use less gas and you'll use less brake pad too. 4) Using a gas loyalty program. Saving .05 (sometimes .10) each gallon without paying for a shopping club membership. 5) Setting cruise...Read More...

Birthday Savings & Freebies

Moore Income
Today marks that time of year when my age mysteriously goes up by another digit. This year the number is 26 😂 That being said, I always try to take advantage of any freebies offered by restaurants in my area. So far I have been able to collect: - A free sub from Firehouse Subs - A free sub from Jersey Mike's - A free coffee from Caribou Coffee - A free coffee from Dunkin - A free treat from Panera Bread - A free 12 oz frozen yogurt from Tutti Frutti - A free burrito from Moe's (I also...Read More...
Last Reply By Moore Income · First Unread Post

Last-Minute Halloween Costumes

Grace Schweizer
Halloween weekend is fast (like, way-too-fast) approaching! A few years ago, I wrote about putting together last-minute Halloween costumes from items I had in my closet. It's become a favorite around here -- in no small part due to the fact that I dress up like a Minion (and yes, there are pictures and and a video). And while I would say my wardrobe is more... colorful? loud? obnoxious? than some, I'm guessing there's at least one idea in here that any closet could replicate with a little...Read More...
Last Reply By Angie P. · First Unread Post

2022 Savings Goals

Moore Income
2022 is just around the corner, and that means that if you start now, you can get a head start on all next years financial goals! With that in mind, I figured I would post this out there so we can all share a savings goal we hope to achieve in the next year. It will be cool to put it here and then come back at the end of next year and see how many of us were able to achieve our goals! They say "You are 42 percent more likely to achieve your goals if you write them down." ( source ) My Main...Read More...
Last Reply By lismox · First Unread Post

Something I wish I knew before buying my Wedding Dress

LaineLou
Despite having a low-key wedding, I bought my dress at BHLDN. I absolutely love my dress and really enjoyed wearing it on my wedding day but I wish I knew before buying it that a wedding dress is NOT a one-time cost. Let me explain. The dress cost about $850 total. I realize this is cheaper than some places but it was a lot for me! Especially when I was first looking on sites like Lulus. Then you have alterations. I saw this coming but it’s still added stress when you’re already dishing...Read More...
Last Reply By Janet Keeler · First Unread Post

Cheap Weeknight Dinner Ideas

Tiffany Connors
Hi Penny Hoarders, I'm placing a request here for cheap weeknight meal ideas. By mid-week, I am always exhausted and end up buying takeout (pricy) or resorting to a frozen pizza (gets old fast). And my family has eaten more rotisserie chicken in the past three months than I care to count. I'm not necessarily looking for recipes — just what does you eat that's easy, quick and cheap on a Thursday night? Thanks everyone!Read More...

Finding Pennies and Other Coins

I've noticed that it is not easy finding pennies and coins on the ground now. I used to always find them (and sometimes bills, as much as $20 at least twice in my own yard), but it's rare to find them for my coin jar now. I wonder if the pandemic has taught more people to "bother" with picking up those dropped coins! Has anyone else noticed this?Read More...
Last Reply By SWP63 · First Unread Post

How hard is it to save $10,000 in a year?

Will S.
Saving $10k in a year seems like a daunting task, to me anyway, but the benefits are many. For one, I'd finally have a healthy emergency fund plus I wouldn't have to worry about going into credit card debt for my next vacation or home renovation project. I think breaking it down to how much I'd need to save weekly or monthly makes hitting that $10k goal much more digestible. Anyone have tips on making setting aside a little money each month an out of sight, out of mind task? For example, my...Read More...
Last Reply By Moore Income · First Unread Post

Hey Runners! Here Are a Few Ways to Save Some Cash

Joshua Pramis
There’s a misconception that running is a cheap hobby. Truth be told, it’s anything but. Between the shoes, wicking clothes — garments made of fast-drying material, essential for avoiding injury from chafing or blistering — assorted gear, and race registrations, it can add up… fast. I’ve easily spent thousands of dollars in the last four years (when I really kicked up my devotion to the sport), and today was reminded by my Garmin Connect app that it’s almost time for another big spend: two...Read More...
Last Reply By Chrissy Goff · First Unread Post

You can also post new topics to this forum via email. Just compose your topic and send the email here: [email protected]