Save Money

Featured Topics

Suggestions for Automated Savings?

MountainFan
I've read through this article a bunch of times now, and I still just don't know. I've tried Acorns and honestly never saw much benefit with the small bits of savings I was able to put in the account. I like the idea of Digit but I'm worried a little about how it works. (Like does it offer protection to not overdraw?) Investing seems a little outside of my scope for now. I love the idea of setting goals for the savings, like for an emergency fund or vacation. I recently opened an Ally...Read More...
Thanks. I will check out the article for the $5 challenge! ShopKick never makes me sign in, the app opens and that's all there is, ready to go. Maybe they have improved, signing in each time would be a deterrent and I agree with you, too much hassle.Read More...
I stopped using Shopkick. Having to remember to sign in before you walk into the store is too much work. I do use a cashback credit card. Whenever I reach $50 in savings -- right into the savings account. I pay the card back in full twice a month so I never carry a balance. It's basically my debit card. Pennyhoarder just did an article on the $5 challenge and how to do it if you don't carry cash. Check it out.Read More...
Last Reply By redcatcec · First Unread Post

Topics

car warranty

Van Jalaber
Is a car warranty worth purchasing? Cost $3500 for 24,000 miles. Used car 2017 Kia Serento,70,000 miles.Read More...
You have to weigh the odds of whether or not you think you're going to need more than $3500 worth of work on your car within the next 24k miles. A 2017 is almost new, I can't imagine too much going wrong with it if you keep up the maintenance. To me (and this is me), I would rather put $3500 in an account and keep it in case something does happen, if it doesn't then you still have $3500. However, one thing about me is that I've never spent more than $2k on a car, so if I had $3500, and...Read More...
Last Reply By JeremyM · First Unread Post
As a senior citizen, I been through the gadget-buying stage of life many years ago and now just appreciate sticking to the basics to accomplish most jobs. The gadgets are stuck in a closet or long-ago donated. That said, I've got some gadgets that do pay for themselves (in either time or money or both) and I'm very happy with: 1.food saver vacuum system 2. slow cooker 3.food dehydrator 4. computer 5. pressure washer Would you share some of your gadgets that you feel save you time or money...Read More...
The crockpot, absolutely, is the best.Read More...
ninja - make fruit smoothies which eliminates want to buy ice cream. Sadly, it's motor is dying/died. I'm hoping newer food processor is just as good at making smoothies but I'm missing the individual size container.Read More...
Last Reply By sthom · First Unread Post

Cheap Valentine's Day date

Another way to save money on Valentine's Day (or any other holiday) is to use your public library and borrow DVD's or music CD's. They won't cost you a penny!Read More...
The library is a great resource for everyone. They have events and programs for all ages and usually they are free or low cost.Read More...
I love to visit the public library and read books, magazines and newspapers! I also browse the internet. The library can be quite a relaxing place.Read More...
Last Reply By Savingsmama · First Unread Post

How I save money on pest control

Elon Must Save
Pest control can be so expensive. I have seen prices from $99 to $130 for quarterly treatments. Bugs are annoying but that is a high cost to get rid of them. I recently found and started using a more affordable option. The company is called pestie.com and it's so much more affordable and so far its worked great. Hope this helps!Read More...
Pestie is outdoors. I only need indoors.Read More...
That is true. Its might be a good option for some. I didn't want to get licenced so I talked to the support team at pestie and they said because I am only using it on my home I don't need to have a licence but it is professional-grade pesticide and normally you would need a licence to use the product if you were going to spray other homes besides your own.Read More...
Last Reply By K Jennings · First Unread Post

$4000 trip to Hawaii for $1500

Elon Must Save
Ok, everyone, I know the subject line might sound unrealistic but it's true. Also just a heads up this might not work for everyone but it did for me and my wife. October of 2018 we went on a trip to Maui Hawaii for $1500 total for 2 people. Here is how we did it. The Flights I saved up airline vouches by taking the later flight. I used to work for a company that had to fly me around twice a year. I needed to be at my office the next morning but they would always put me on the 5:00 pm flights...Read More...
@Elon Must Save Thanks so much for sharing this, Elon! Very impressed with your strategy!Read More...
Wow, incredible deal! Great findRead More...
Last Reply By Theodora · First Unread Post

My Money Saving Gadget

Frustration with the price of a new Verizon Smart Phone to replace my old faltering phone led me back to TracFone, the provider of my old emergency flip phone. TracFone was running a special on a Samsung Crow J7 with a larger screen then my previous phone for less then $100.00! This beats the $1000.00 and up I was quoted by Verizon. TracFone also beat the $150.00/monthly bill that would have gone to $200.00/month with a new phone purchase via Verizon. Credit on the new phone was also given...Read More...

free flowers for Valentine's Day 2020

Madiha Jamal
Where do you get free flowers, a rose, snacks, or chocolate on Valentine's Day? I know there are some people who celebrate this day wholeheartedly by giving away free stuff.Read More...
Well I'm interested! Valentines Day for free, I'm in! It's not free, but I did find a bright bouquet of dried flowers to give to my wife for Valentine's Day. At least they will last much longer, which felt like a financial win for me.Read More...
Hey kelly there are things like these. Have you ever used any freebies? Valentine's day is all famous for its food freebies and printable cards and coupons. And as far as I have researched about it, I just found a few good flower freebies, like you could avail free delivery on flowers, or attend a valentine theme party where people give free roses, or some restaurants also give free bouquet to early customers. They have a few limit for these kind of free stuff. May be it would help you out. ...Read More...
Last Reply By Michael Metzger · First Unread Post

Financial Fitness February: Day 4 (And a Money Saving Tip)

Moore Income
Day 4 of February wasn't too crazy for me, here's what went down financially: 1.) More "Investments" In Items to Resell - I am trying to make a point to get around to all the major retailers in my area since getting back to Fargo. I am trying to get a good amount of inventory as I work towards making reselling my biggest source of income in 2020. Now is actually a great time to be doing this I have found as most stores are running winter clearance trying to get rid of all the left over...Read More...
My husband is too, so HE never gets a "free lunch". LOLRead More...
@dboothe I love it when I go to a restaurant that serves enough for me to have an extra meal! But I'm kind of a big eater so those restaurants are harder to find for meRead More...
Last Reply By dboothe · First Unread Post

Extreme Couponing Tips to Add More Money Into Your Wallet

Madiha Jamal
We should cut back on our spending habits as the world's economy is increasing at a fast pace. If we don't save today, then we can't build a financially stable future. And saving means creating a strict budget and spending the bare minimum strategically until your debts are satisfied. One excellent way to maximize savings is to follow the tradition of using coupons while shopping. Coupons are one of the most authentic money savers that warrant savings. But how can you use them strategically...Read More...
MADIHA JAMAL, Thanks for the information and the link.Read More...
You guys are really very budget-savvy. You know how to spend smartly rather than just making an investment. You are actually making the most out of your hard earned money.Read More...
Last Reply By dboothe · First Unread Post

Living off a paycheck after paycheck

I personally don't have a bank account and I'm living off a pay check after pay check. I want to be able to save for my kids need or need a second job..Read More...
I keep an expense journal. If you see it in writing you are aware of how each penny is being spent. I write a budget for known expenses. When you post the known expenses like electricity always lists you for a certain amount to put back for savings. Avoid late fees and try to pay each credit card off each month.Read More...
Hello! You don't really say exactly what you need advice or help on, assuming that is what you are asking. Are you looking for ways to save money, earn extra income, a combination of both? There are a lot of great resources here and a lot of knowledgeable people here in the community. There are also alternatives to checking accounts, including numerous prepaid debit cards with little or no fees that you can direct deposit into. Good luck!Read More...
Last Reply By carolyn coleman · First Unread Post

Financial Fitness February: Day 2

Moore Income
It's day 2 of my Financial Fitness February challenge so here are the things that took place that had an impact on my finances: 1.) Returned an item I really didn't need on Amazon - I had purchased a Bluetooth speaker, and although it was nice, I realized I really didn't need it and I can make better use of the money. Since it was still within the return period, I went ahead and sent it back to Amazon. That put $32.24 back in my pocket. Also, since I chose to drop it off at Kohl's which was...Read More...
Way to go @dboothe ! Cooking instead of eating out can really save you some money when you add up how much it costs.Read More...
Ok, today. Day 3. I cooked dinner when I didn't really feel like it. Win! We transferred some money from our regular savings into a CD that is renewing to increase the interest. We're fairly certain we will not need the money any time soon, Good Lord Willing.Read More...
Last Reply By Moore Income · First Unread Post

Best penny pinching app

Aaron M Hughes
So i dont know if you guys and gals have ever used the app called "digit". It is a little miracle worker. You attach it to your bank account and it learns your spending habits. Then every day it will take a small portion out. You can set the limit. Its 2.99$ a month but trust me it is worth it. You can create different things you want to save for and name them and it will divide your dividend that it takes into each folder your saving in. I have a "rainy day", "graduation ", and "student...Read More...
This sounds like a good idea but makes me too nervous to go through with it. How did you get introduced to this app?Read More...
Last Reply By Hanna · First Unread Post

BEING THRIFTY DOESN'T MEAN CHEAP STUFF

lori wulff
I am always being THRIFTY no matter what. I look for a deal on anything that costs $$. Allot of people think shopping at thrift stores, clearance racks, and being at Walmart for instance is always getting cheap *** stuff. For example of my thrifty self 😀, I like name brand products. Toilet paper like Scotts 1000 sheet rolls is a great value and can be cheap on the wallet. Every 2 weeks or so CVS puts Scotts products on sale. You can get 12/ 1000 sheet rolls for $7.49 verses $15+. That's one...Read More...
I agree - Thrifty doesn't mean cheap quality. I have better curtains than I could ever afford because I bought them at GoodWill on 50% off Saturday. Same goes for certain other items.Read More...
I hear that!! 😀Read More...
Last Reply By jcclark1976 · First Unread Post

Subscriptions

Eber A.
What subscription services do you guys have? Do you actually use them? I’m going over my subscriptions and I know I need to cancel some.Read More...
I just started using one a few months back called Pestie. They are so much cheaper than normal pest control and the results have been great. I would recommend pestie.com to anyone who wants pest control but doesnt want to pay $99 per service. Other than these guys I split a streaming service with my sister.Read More...
Right now, i have Hulu, and that’s it. I’ve found that when I invest in multiple subscriptions that generally one is unused so I ditched NBA TV and Netflix in November 2019.Read More...
Last Reply By Elon Must Save · First Unread Post

Do You Ever Pick up A Stray Penny?

Penny2
Lately my husband and I have been finding so much stray change on the ground we decided to place into a separate bowl to see out of curiosity what it would come to at the end of the year. Near the end of 2018 we were out walking our dogs before a big snowstorm and my dog was over by a tree so I walked over there and what looked like a green leaf was actually a $10. Very cool. We started a separate bowl now in 2019. So do you keep that change or throw it and make a wish?😊Read More...
I know of a man who used to throw his pennies in the trash.Read More...
Very interesting story!Read More...
Last Reply By MsKimberly · First Unread Post
Page

How do you get great deals at Thrift Stores?

Madiha Jamal
“Thrifting is like mountaineering, but instead of getting intriguing views you get some good deals at the end” Many People shop at thrift stores- some out of necessity, while some love it! Either way, Thrift stores provide more appealing options if you are not more in to the latest trends. The best part? You can find something you love, at the ridiculously lowest price tag! Plus, you can save a lot of money like buying an entire bag of clothes for $20. You couldn’t even imagine how much...Read More...
Seems like there are some of the smartest shoppers in the forum. I really learned few more good tips to shop wisely.Read More...
OLIVIA, Wow, you were very organized and smart with your shopping. And very kind to add your family's items to look out for to your list.Read More...
Last Reply By Madiha Jamal · First Unread Post

AMAZON PRIME Everyone can get it

lori wulff
Hello fellow Penny Hoarders 😀 I have found out some great news. Amazon Prime membership is available for people on a small budget also. If you receive Snap benefits "aka" food stamps you can qualify for a big discount toward membership. Low income folks can pay as little as $5-6 per month for a prime membership. Hope this information helps someone out there.Read More...
How do you apply?Read More...
Last Reply By BJLEE · First Unread Post

Savings

When we return from a shopping trip > We set aside the monies saved with coupons. Also restaurants and fast food savings.Dennis Sent from Mail for Windows 10Read More...
I love to say for a rainy day. I was raised to be responsible with my money. My mom always says never compromise on health, no matter what. so, IDK, someone suggested to opt for healthy lighting and I cannot stop purchasing those and gifting it to my mom! Humor but it is helpful!Read More...
This is really a smart way to save money.Read More...
Last Reply By Zara Zoey · First Unread Post

Auto Ins based on usage

Hi everyone, just this week I heard about Auto Insurance based on actual usage. I'm newly Disabled so reorienting some areas of spending. It doesn't make sense to pay so much when hardly driving at all. Before inventing the wheel, I thought asking here might yield results for all of us. Is this really a thing? It's Its certainly not common knowledge yet, if so. Are there legitimate companies/ comparisons? Thanks!!Read More...
These are details I am not aware of yet best thing is to look on their website. Root usage-based Auto Insurance. They're not available in my state yet, which is North Carolina, but in most others according to the map. Good luck!Read More...
It seems like a good idea to have a auto insurance policy based on usage, the consumer ends up with significant savings on their rates. Can you explain what happens if you have an accident or any events when they are monitoring? Are they very forgiving?Read More...
Last Reply By Kumba · First Unread Post

Super Easy Tips for Saving $1000 or More in 2020

Elice Max
At the start of 2019, I was introduced to the Penny Hoarder by a friend while we were discussing our money problems. After being a silent reader for a few months, I decided to join the community and share some of my experiences. I’ve learned quite a lot about financial management on this forum and this article is a summation of everything that has worked for me. I’ve set a minimum limit of $1000 to save within a period of one year. With a stricter discipline, one can, however, save more.Read More...
I love coffee! My friend and I enjoy a good cup of coffee and a pastry of bagel once a week, we do not plan on giving this up. But, as a way of saving and enjoying later, we visit places where you can get free to go cups of coffee to savor later. This is Panera and a local bagel store. Panera also gives you a free birthday treat, as well as visits/purchases adding up. Occasionally they have promotions on their gift cards, think it is $10 back on $50-usually this occurs around graduation and ...Read More...
Thanks for these reminders, ELICE MAX! Love your name.Read More...
Last Reply By redcatcec · First Unread Post

Saving for and with grandchildren

I have six grandchildren, ages 16, 15, 12, 9, 6 and 3. I want to start saving money for them, but I want them to participate in the savings program. I'd like to give the older kids an allowance plus a savings account. I don't have much money so I'm not going to be investing in the stock market or anything like that. But I could manage maybe $100/month to split between the six of them. Any ideas?Read More...
Have you considered a 529 plan for saving for college? We contribute to our grandkids plans every year around their birthday. Their parents set up the account, not us, so you can set one up for each child or contribute to a 529 set up by others. It must be used for education purposes, tho not necessarily a 4 years college. It can be used for a trade schools as well. Fidelity (Investments) has a good read about 3 different types of school savings plans...Read More...
I would start by having an honest conversation with them about money. They should know what you're trying to achieve and this would make them respect the process. As for the savings part, I believe a simple savings jar for the kids under 12 would do the trick. Meanwhile, consider opening accounts for older children.Read More...
Last Reply By mintjulep · First Unread Post

What kind of store bought pizza is almost or as good as pizza chains?

Think of how expensive it is to have pizza delivered. If ordered frequently, you could be losing a lot of money long term. What kind of store bought pizza is almost or as good as pizza chains? What is the worst? I don't know what the best is. However, the worst is Celeste. It's tastes like it is made with American cheese rather than mozzarella.Read More...
I have seen that in my grocery store so many times, and I am always tempted. I signed up for free coupons. The advertisement that came up was so original. It made me hungry!Read More...
We like Screamin Sicilian and can only find the brand in our area at Publix. Publix runs BOGO frequently, and if you sign up at the SS website, they email $1.00 off coupons every 4-6 weeks (expiration dates are short, so take note)/And SS doesn't spam! We do jazz up with extra mozzarella, but do any store bought pizza! https://www.screaminsicilian.comRead More...
Last Reply By MsKimberly · First Unread Post

What has been your money epiphany?

Sid
I'm just curious to find out what has been your aha! moment when you realized a cool way to save money? When did you finally decided that now is the time to stash some money for rainy days?Read More...
After a divorce in my early 30's, and the need to find a good, reliable income, which turned out to be real estate sales, and some roller coaster income years........well, the lightbulb went on. My neighbor happened to be a CPA and I consider his financial advice to be the best ever received at a crucial time in my life!Read More...
Grandkids are amazingly pricey!! I realized this when I started tracking my spending 6 years ago! Wow! And tho I knew I was probably being too generous, just how generous showed up in bright RED!!! LOL! It wasn't all the spoil, either. When they stay weekends or weeks, the special foods, entertainment, activities all add up. Wouldn't have it any other way, but goodness it was an eye-opener!Read More...
Last Reply By mintjulep · First Unread Post

Saving money

The first step to saving money is to figure out how much you spend. Keep track of all your expenses—that means every coffee, household item and cash tip. Once you have your data, organize the numbers by categories, such as gas, groceries and mortgage, and total each amount. Consider using your credit card or bank statements to help you with this. Bank of America clients can use the Spending & Budgeting tool , which automatically categorizes your transactions for easier budgeting in the...Read More...
Pretty much a success story of saving money. It's been months I have been saving to solo backpack to Europe. The mantra other than an intensive scrutiny of budgeting is to see what really matters and what seems like a excessive junk!Read More...
The Every Dollar app is also a great budget app! Very easy to figure out, and you can add customized budget categories and it tells you when you’ve gone over your budget.Read More...
Last Reply By Zara Zoey · First Unread Post