Reply to "Changing my eating habits is changing my finances"

I totally agree! When I started tracking BOTH calories AND grocery costs, I realized how much it really costs to eat badly. Everybody says fast food is cheap, but really, it isn't at all. It is cheaper than sit-down restaurants but not at all cheaper than making your own food. I liked the responder who listed the restaurant discounts, but they are all high-calorie, fast-food restaurants, which we never go to unless we are traveling and absolutely have to. I would add that we don't eat out at all unless I have a coupon or discount, and even then, it might only be once a month, if that, and for Xmas/bday gifts, I usually ask for restaurant gift cards. Also, my teenagers consume HUGE amounts of food now (our food bill tripled), so I buy bulk bags/large amounts of brown rice, potatoes, and whole wheat pasta (for fiber to fill them up) and inexpensive proteins like canned tuna/salmon, peanuts, eggs, and whole or parts chicken/turkey on sale. Red meats and everything that is already cut up, spiced, and mixed for you costs more. Cheese is now a barely sprinkled condiment at our house. Bought a spiralizer to make cheap veggies look better and different. Presentation is everything! LOL! But I can say that, as with everything, it's a trade off in time or money. Making your own food from scratch is very cheap but very time intensive. Experimented with making my own bread (cause flour is pennies cheap), but that is massively time consuming, so I don't think it's worth the money saved. I am trying to make my own pizza dough because that is outrageously expensive for what you get, and you can make pizza healthier at home. Kroger/Smith's has a pretty good dough mix for 50 cents a package that makes a small, single-serve (for my kids) pizza. Highly recommend that! Good luck!