Skip to main content

Reply to "Cheap eats"

Invest in a bench freezer, shop around, they don't cost that much. In the Fall you can still get good prices on things like corn, apples, pears. etc. Buy extra to store up for Winter months. Also, the holidays are coming. Things like turkey and ham will be on sale. (before and after the holiday) An extra ham or turkey can be used later on. If your not going to roast the turkey, try par boiling it, then break it down to put on the grill. Par boiling it will make it juicier, as well. Also, meat usually has its lowest prices late in the Fall. Farmers don't want to keep livestock over the Winter. Don't forget to check your local butcher for freezer orders.

When I was single, I use to like to take my leftovers from the week, toss them in the crock pot and make soup. Don't underestimate your crock pot. Cheaper meats become tender. Dry beans become soup. Tons of recipes on the internet, Most companies have web sites (Pillsbury, McCormick, El Paso, to name a few.) My wife is disabled. She contacts manufacturers about their products. Most send her coupons. That can really add up.