Skip to main content

Reply to "Dear Penny's post in today's (1/18) newsletter about frugality"

@Will S. posted:

Here's a link to the full Dear Penny column: https://www.thepennyhoarder.co...gal-but-still-broke/

I think these words particularly run true: "Now it’s time to take stock of how to maximize your income, even if that means your passion won’t be your full-time job."

I've definitely been there – scraping by trying to turn passion projects into financial stability. For me it was running an arts and entertainment website and being a professional musician. While those stints were fun while they lasted, and invaluable experiences, I had to eventually take a job with decent pay and benefits, sending my career path in a new trajectory.

And I'm glad you did, @Will S. You've found your niche. I do some part-time editing work remotely and one of my co-workers is a musician as well. He took the job to make ends meet while he still pursues his craft. It offers him the flexibility so he can work while he's on the road for gigs. Of course, there are no benefits, but he knows that every two weeks, he will get a check, and that counts a lot.

Last edited by sthom