Reply to "For those Who do not drive, what is the cheapest way to get around?"

AverageJoe posted:

When my wife and I moved back to Illinois from MN to try and finish college, our car had it's transmission wear out. My wife would take the local bus to work, and I would walk up to where she worked. We lived six miles from her place of employment.  A man from our church worked on our transmission for free since we were college students, and it took him several months to get it finished since he also had his day job. We were thankful and even offered to pay him. He wouldn't accept any money from us.  I eventually ended up getting a job just a mile past my wife's place of employment, and so I would ride the bus with her to work and would sit out in the lobby doing my homework until it was time for me to start work. I then would hop the bus and would walk home. We lived in a town of 35,000 people, and it wasn't really a long jaunt to any place in town, and it helped keep us fit. Seems like the Lord knew what He was doing through all of the things we faced during that time. We were very thankful for everything we went through. It's helped us to help others to look for ways to get through the "tough times" in their lives. tH