Reply to "Hello new members!"

@Shari L Dilley It is a good thing your grandchild has a loving, caring grandmother such as yourself. I have to say that I agree with the previous poster, that if the parents of your grandchild are alive and able to help support this child, they should do so or be forced to do so by law. The truth is, this child is THEIR responsibility, not yours unless you have legally adopted it. It may seem harsh, but it's true. It has negatively affected you and your partner's financial well being. If you decide not to take the legal option, that's your choice, and I will give that to you. I can speak to this subject to some degree because I was adopted by my mother's second husband when I was seven, six years after my father abandoned me. He and my adoptive father were both raised by family members and it was hard. I won't go into details, but let it suffice for me to say that both had a rough upbringing. My wife and I were also foster parents and saw what happens not only to the children but to the parents and the ones who take other people's children and responsibilities on themselves, even with the help of the state in stipends. I know that there are many charities that help such as Catholic Social Services, and if there are any Southern Baptist Churches in your area, they also help, especially grandparents raising grandchildren. The state of PA also has many forms of assistance from what I understand from my sister in law and nieces who live in PA near and in Pittsburgh. I hope this helps. I've added you to my prayer list if you don't mind. I hope you can find some answers here and in your area. 

AverageJoe