Skip to main content

Reply to "First time home buyer"

Melissa posted:

Thank you, both! @Alexis Grant, when you purchased your houses and had home inspections, how did that work? Did the bank set something up and the inspector provided you with a report? Or did you hire an inspector yourself and do a walk through with them?

Melissa,

We are currently in the process of purchasing our second home and have hired an inspector ourself. We had the option of hiring separate ones that do the general inspection and then looking for ones that check the sewage system. I cost analyzed each and we saved a little bit of money by going with the inspector that does it all. We chose to have a general inspection, sewage, radon, water, of which the total cost is $1,240. Another cost to purchasing a home! We will do the walk through with them on Friday and then wait a day or two for the report.

Our first home was purchased through an FHA loan so the lender set up the inspection and we had no influence nor participation in it. It was a lot cleaner as there was less leg work I had to do on my end, but no knowledge of the fees until closing nor any control on minimizing.

Good luck!