Skip to main content

Reply to "First time home buyer"

AnnieB posted:

I just bought a house in the past year.  My realtor gave me a list of inspection companies in my area, along with what each one inspected.  He said that he was not legally allowed to recommend one.  I went with the company who had the longest list of criteria inspected for (radon, mold, water damage, plumbing, electrical, structural, slope of yard, boundary line).  I didn't want anything missed.  IIRC, the inspection cost about $1300 here in Ohio, but it was the best money ever spent.  There WERE issues.  We were able to negotiate repairs and price with the seller.  The entire report was sent to my realtor and me, with the bank requesting a copy.  We sent the full report to the seller, with a "you'll fix this, you'll credit this (thereby dropping the price), or we'll walk away."

Also, don't go spending any money until the loan closes.  You'll run the risk of losing the house.  If you're getting a bigger house, realize that it's more to furnish.  Between new appliances and furniture, window coverings, I easily spent an additional $15,000 after the loan closed.

@AnnieB Wow, I love this! Thank you for the information, this is so helpful! Just out of curiosity, when you negotiated the repairs, did the sellers actually fix any of the issues themselves or did they calculate the cost to fix and enter that amount as a seller concession? 

Last edited by Melissa