Reply to "Home Buying Vs. Renting"

Jules posted:

I agree with Shannon. One thing I've noticed from watching friends and family who opted to buy a home instead of rent is how often a mortgage turns into more of a ball and chain instead of the equity they were promised. People often get offered better jobs in different areas of the country, but because of their mortgage, they find moving to a new place to be almost impossible. If you're not 100% sure you want to be in that home for the entire length of your 15-30 year mortgage, I would hold off for the time being. 

I also saw you posted about considering a tiny home. I mentioned this in a comment on that thread, but I'll mention it in a comment here as well: you may want to consider renting a smaller apartment until you find out whether or not your husband gets his promotion. This will help you adjust to a smaller space (if you do want to go the tiny house route) and help you save money for either a big deposit on your new digs, or a nest egg should you decide to move. Since the promotion is a year and a half away, that's a great standard leasing time. 

Best of luck!

Thanks for your reply! I love hearing everyone's input!