Skip to main content

Reply to "How much job hopping is too much?"

Both your points were two things that I also looked at and made a point to discuss with any potential candidate—( towards the end of my work life, I went back into management to get the needed raise in pay, so I understood the duality of what people look for in their jobs). With a multiple job skipping, I would be concerned about what they wanted from the position that they are applying for, to see if they were bringing anything positive ( fresh perception) and what they were looking to gain from the experience. On the other hand, someone who has stayed in the same position without charge, I would looking to see how well they explain their desire to look for change, besides more money. Some people can only achieve a certain level of performance and be a good fit, or they have maintained that same job because they are pros at avoiding being written up or fired. You have to really look beyond what is written on the resume and application to find the right person for the job position. I hired for both short term ( seasonal) and permanent positions when I worked in management. And when I wasn’t working in management, I made a point of being friendly enough to work with my coworkers but I didn’t maintain closeness (like BFFs) outside the workplace so whatever way they felt like being with me didn’t affect my work performance.