Reply to "Pennyhoarders: Do you return Christmas gifts to the store...regift...or make use of it?"

Moore Income posted:

For Christmas this year, I got a shirt and a book, both which I will put to good use.

My wife and I both are trying to downsize even more. After living out of our car as we traveled the past few months we realized how little we actually need to live comfortably.

When people ask me what I want for a gift I quickly tell them that I am not in need of any "stuff" and if they absolutely must get me something I would prefer something such as a book which has more value than just some random "thing". I also always say silver  because that is really valuable!

By doing this, less people get me a gift because they do not feel inclined to do so which I am totally okay with.

But this also means that when someone does get me a book for example, I do not have a problem re-gifting it if I already own a copy and even after I have read the book it can still be a gift because it holds its value even after being "used".

When it comes to clothes or other items that have a size, re-gifting might not be as practical donating them to a thrift store or homeless shelter would probably be the best use of that gift.

I love to receive and give books for gifts.  It is a toss-up between books and a really good fruitcake.  Seriously!  I love fruitcake.  Never would I give fruitcake as a gift unless I know the person loves it as I do. Used books are welcome, too.