Skip to main content

Reply to "Possibly Idiotic Credit Question"

I believe your credit report only goes back 10 years.  After returning to the workforce last year I applied for a credit card.  Something i had never had before.  It should by student loan which which is about 15 years old which I am still paying off.  it ddid not show a car loan that I got in 2008 and was done with in 2009.  While I wask able to get two cards although i had no employment history but had a perfect payment history on the student loan.  Credit services advise to have about five accounts as a good measure.  When applying for additonal cards this year, it come back that I don't have enough accounts yet.  For years I carefully managed to support my daughters with their child support payments.  Even when they stopped when my youngest turned 18 I made it last till she was 20.  The advice to pay twice a month is good.  It keeps your kcredit utilzation lower which accounts for over 30% of your credit score.  If you havenk't already apply for one of the free credit report services.