Skip to main content

Reply to "This week in... The Penny Hoarder Community"

@Marsha Scott You are definitely right when you say that it's hard to get by on what Social Security pays out. I have my wife's income to depend on as well, but my SSDI is hardly helpful in maintaining everything. We both have prescriptions and need to take several supplements on top of these. We sometimes feel like we should be investing in Pharmaceutical companies!  There are many ways to save on many of these medications. Many times your pharmacist will be able to assist you in finding local programs, or even programs that most of us don't know of.  My sister, who has MS, and her husband has diabetes and renal failure have many prescriptions. They use something called "BestRX" I believe. Sometimes there are discounts available through your utility company with a type of "value-added" program. It never ever hurts to ask if there are any programs that are offered or that you can use. I hope that these tips help. If I come across any others that we have used in the years I've been on SS, I'll definitely let you know.

Last edited by AverageJoe