Skip to main content

Reply to "What are your secret tips and tricks to save a bit extra?"

I am in the process of remodeling my retirement home, in Florida. I have not made the move from Maryland, yet. To keep down expenses, I am installing motion activated security lights in the bathrooms and by each door. They ae L.E.D. and run off 3 "D" cells. In the bathrooms , I am installing one over the door and a second one over the sink.  It will save me from turning on the lights on my dozen trips to the bathroom each night. Also, good for power failures and if it comes on and it's not me, it will make it easier to hit my target. The lights only cost about $10 each and attach with two sheet metal screws. I will be using them in my shed and closets, as well. It is good to have them on when I am gone. I pull the main breaker when I return to Maryland and I am gone about six months at a time. The rest of the house is being fitted with all L.E.D lights. I have a chest freezer  on order and plan on planting a garden  and a small orchard. We are going to get hens and a couple of goats when we make our big move. I am building a gas powered bike from a kit (Bikeberry). They get about 125 miles P/G. It will be fun to run back and forth to the store for milk, bread . etc.