Reply to "What do you do when you have a surprise expense?"

Melissa posted:

What do you do when you have an expected expense? Do you pull money out of your savings to pay for it? Or do you put it on your credit card? 

Unexpected expense requires planning upfront, something like a linked account to your primary bank account for instance. Money in a linked account cannot be accessed by using your bank card, because you have to transfer money from said linked account. Not all financial service providers may offer the option, but I'm glad that mine do. 

Every month, just put a few bucks (as much as you can afford) into said linked account. And forget about it, because that is your safety net. So when you do have car trouble for instance, it's not going to be an extinction level event. This is also an excellent way to save for that new television set, and basically paying half the price as opposed to an account with ridiculous interest rates. 

Personally I'm no fan of credit cards and/or accounts because I hate owing people or any other entities any money. I'm more of a cash person, with exclusion to my house bond and vehicle payments of course. And that is not because I'm some dotcom millionaire...not yet anyway. The one thing I have in abundance is patience, which I'm eternally thankful for.