Skip to main content

Reply to "Working From Home Parents: What's it Really Like?"

I'm okay at writing but I'll admit it's been a long time since I've even needed it. Most of my skills are in tactile efforts, usually car or building  related but I don't know if I'd be willing to say I'm good at it??? To be frank, everything I know or have learned in the last 6 years has been due to necessity. So I can change my own brakes, struts and shocks, oil, ect but only because I've always been too broke to take my car to a shop to have it done. I've done subfloor repair, built shelves and storage, drywall and paneling, ect but that was because I couldn't afford to move out of my Mom's if I didn't take advantage of a handyman special on a trailer.

My experience in retail has taught me a lot of soft skills but lol I can't use any of them in the most common work from home positions (customer service) right now.

I am still considering taking advantage of the fact that my youngest is so small to maybe learn something at home. Taking a writing course or maybe getting a certificate in something online to make a side income. For now, I'm learning how to touch type to get better at my transcription efforts (Because something is better than nothing and not all the audios are terrible).

I mainly just wanted a better mental image of what wrangling kiddos at home was like or  have strategies on hand to maximize the time I carve out for something.

Thanks for the links!