161 Responses
You must sign in to take this survey.

If you have money left in your account right before the next paycheck arrives, what do you do with it?

Spend it just for fun
Spend it on a need
Roll it over into next month’s budget
Stick it in savings
Invest it
Lend it to friends or relatives
Something else I’ll tell you about in the comments below
Posted by Briana ·

Add Comment

Comments (20)

Newest · Oldest · Popular

I actually rotate thru several of the listed answers. 
It's a game to me to see if I can still have money left when my next paycheck arrives (weekly). I like to either make a bigger payment on a debt I'm trying to knock out; put it in savings, or split between the two. Once in a while, I'll use the money to treat myself. 

I use a zero based budget and have a separate savings account that I use strictly for travel...ANYTHING (even $2.86!)  leftover gets moved into that account.

I just add it to the next months money. It is there just in case I need it. Most of the time it goes towards something the girls need for school. 

I put 10% of my take home pay into savings right away, then I pay my bills, then I see if I have any fun money. Most often, any money that's left after bills are paid gets rolled over to next month. Once a significant amount of money gets accumulated in my checking account that gets rolled over, I transfer a portion of that money to savings. 

Like a commenter below, that would just cause me to wonder what I forgot to pay or what I forgot about that's already coming out, because there's never actual leftovers  #anothergraduatingsenior

If there’s money in the account, I’m wondering where it has already been spent. #teenager #competetivedance #graduatingsenior

I try to invest as much extra as I can, however, I always try to leave some money as a cushion in case an unexpected expense comes up. So I would probably invest and save some of it.

I never have money left like that. I have to spend and account for every penny.  saving is out of the question for me.

It depends on how much it is. We use cash for gas and food. Any leftover change goes into a jar. It is set aside for non budgeted giving. Any left overs in our budgeted non cash expenditures is put towards a fund, currently earmarked for a down payment, but in actuality covers unanticipated expenses as it's actually our cushion also. The movement is still upward. 

It appears that the majority of folks answering roll their leftover money into next month's budget. I invest mine. My question for those folks are:
1. Do you have a written (or digital budget)?  If you know where your money is going then you know how much you have left over each month. I suggest investing in your retirement or a total stock market index fund, like Vanguard's VTSAX.

2. Are you spending more than you make? And that's why you are rolling over money to the next month? If so, it bears repeating: A budget can not only help you know where your money is going but, if you want to save more, the ability to review 'what' you spend your money on and work to trim the expenditures that are hindering your ability to save and invest. 

For example, I've gotten rid of Spotify, Pandora, Cabe TV (only Netflix now), bargained with my mobile phone company to reduce my bill, found a lower vehicle insurance rate, stopped eating out all but once a month and eat healthy, home cooked meals.

I only make these suggestions because they've worked wonderfully for me and I live on 50% of my net income and have been able to pay off all my debt.

Read about my personal journey here:  http://www.fightforfinancialindependence.com/

I don't do anything with it because I don't watch paycheck to paycheck - I try to keep a minimum amount in my checking and as long as i have that minimum, anything over just stays in there. If I do get an accumulation consistently, I may increase how much I auto transfer to savings, or stick in my investment account. 

I usually plan to have $200 extra in my checking account every month in case there is a need. Some months I don't have much money left but usually I come fairly close. I want you to know that I do have a budget and that $200 is part of the budget. Now if I had $300 left I might invest it. I have a very tight budget and have cut out some of the things that are just not affordable right now. I appreciate reading what you have done with your money. There are many different plans to follow.

Last edited by Dipat
Link copied to your clipboard.