246 Responses
You must sign in to take this survey.

Imagine you find $100 on the ground. What would you do?

Assume for this scenario you have a savings account and a retirement account. You also have some credit card debt.

Imagine you find $100 on the ground. Youโ€™re the only one around โ€” no potential owner in sight. How do you use the money?

Put it toward your emergency savings
Pay down some debt
Put it toward retirement
Itโ€™s free money. Spend it!
Posted by Briana ·

Add Comment

Comments (38)

Newest · Oldest · Popular
Sheila P posted:

I would actually put half of it in my emergency fund, and donate the other half to a couple of charities I support .

I forgot about wanting to start donating to some cat shelter sites who need money badly. Will start working on that instead of gambling it away.

I said I would first want to spend on my cat , Shana, then I said I'd use it to start an emergency fund. But thinking about it and I would use it for Shana and any left maybe I'd use it on myself. Like buy food, since I've been on a gambling Jones I usually don't have money for me. 

I usually find money tucked away in my own phone or apron or weird places like a coat pocket and it is like finding free money. I put it in to the bank or pick up necessities. It's always a win though. In the past I would have blown it but this year I am on a mission to pay down debt. Right now all of my utilities have a 0 balance and I just keep going to their websites and looking at it. This leaves me an emergency month if I can't make the payment next month. I am working on my credit card balances next now that utilities and car note are up to date. If I found money right now I would put it towards my rent. I'm stressed about that right now. I always pay it in full but had a big emergency last week and ended up short. I have started a secret savings account where I stash $10 each week on auto debit. It's my first attempt at savings since I was living check to check.

Nicole posted:
Deon Christie posted:
Nicole posted:

I answered that I would put it my emergency fund, but really, I would put it in my travel fund!

But wanting to travel IS an emergency @Nicole, is it not so...lol? 

Hahaha!  So true!  I just booked another camping trip for July yesterday morning!  I was up at 6:30am because registration started at 7am & I needed to have my coffee ready!

Only the guilty will know @Nicole...lol! Although I have to give a camping trip in Africa during July a miss. It's freezing that time of year. Enjoy your upcoming summer, while I anxiously await the opposite..haha.

Deon Christie posted:
Nicole posted:

I answered that I would put it my emergency fund, but really, I would put it in my travel fund!

But wanting to travel IS an emergency @Nicole, is it not so...lol? 

Hahaha!  So true!  I just booked another camping trip for July yesterday morning!  I was up at 6:30am because registration started at 7am & I needed to have my coffee ready!

Brooke Fletcher posted:

While I answered pay down debt, there is a chance I would use half to go to debt and the other half for fun or wants! 

This is exactly what I was thinking. Wish we could've had two options. First and second priority. Still interesting to see how people voted.

No owners around and I would feel bad but I would pay some of my debt down. If a owner came around..I would give it back because I know how it would feel to lose money...I would go with paying my bills for a $100๐Ÿ˜.

Although I answered "it's free money. Spend it" that's not 100% true. My wife is active in a local community garden. We recently bought a domain name out of pocket; however, I would probably use that $100 to pay for a year (or more) of web hosting for the garden site. I assume a more accurate answer would be "donate to charity" but that wasn't an option. Another idea would be to hire a personal organizer ($100 worth) just to handle the mess on my computer desk. They would probably only need about 10 file folders, our paper shredder and a very large trash can.  

Frugal Fannie posted:

My emergency fund would be in place!  I would be looking around for more $ that may be accompanying that $100 ๐Ÿ˜‰   Head down and GET RID OF THAT DEBT!!!!

Lol!

It wasn't listed but it depends on where it is found. If I couldn't find the owner then my choice would stand. But the money could be someones grocery money and what they need to take care of their kid. So finding the owner should be a choice in the survey too.