196 Responses
You must sign in to take this survey.

What do you usually do if you run out of money before the next paycheck arrives?

Cut down expenses and save
Borrow money from relatives, friends and acquaintances
Spend my savings
Use a credit card
Other — I’ll tell you about it in the comments below
Posted by Briana ·

Add Comment

Comments (39)

Newest · Oldest · Popular

You know, I'll pull from MY savings account when it comes to that, but in truth it RARELY if EVER happens!   I'm one of the fortunate few that don't really worry about where my next meal or car payment or phone payment, etc. is coming from!  I can totally sympathize with those of you that DO worry, though!

I just go without what ever it is.  I eat once a day and rarely go anywhere. I am a Veteran , after paying rent and light bill, gas bill and phone there is nothing left so if I can not get what I need from food pantry I will just live without it.

I do delivery platforms first ( Uber, Lyft, Postmates, DoorDash, etc) then other platforms ( Jyve, TaskRabbit etc.).  I clean out everything & sell on eBay.  Since I use the Ibotta app, Receipt Hogg and 3 other apps that payout with PayPal, I cash out at this point because I'm running low on money.

I sell items thru facebook matket to get cash for gas, pet food etc and I hit a food bank or two to get food for my family and make it last until my next paycheck. I also cancel my Wi-Fi service for a month or two, or I go without a phone when my minutes run out  (then ask one of my kids to share theirs). When I absolutely  need to use the internet I go to a public place and sit in my car in their parking lot and.ask the kids to ride their bikes to the ibrary or nearest grocery store. I am a single mom of 2. I work full timeb pay taxes and I don't qualify for any public assistance (other than the food bank which is funded by donations). We dont have medical insurance. I pray we stay healthy. I recently had a bad accident and broke 5 ribs and I didn't go to the hospital because I have already been sued once for being unable to.pay off a hospital bill for using the ER when my son had appendicitis. I took 5 days off and went back to work, no such thing as light duty,  hurting most of the time, doing my best to heal despite sleeping poorly and not enough. Still, I went to work cleaned house and took care of my kids every single day. 

I still can't wrap my head s around how unfair some of "their" rules are or how little politicians really have an idea of what's really happening in th is country to people like me and my kids, those who fall thru the cracks. Sometimes I just want to give up! If it wasnt for my kids I would have already...Government has a long way to go to learn about truth and "justice for all". 

People need to learn to live BELOW their means from the get-go.   Many people confuse luxury goods with necessities ... and then spend too much on them.   I've had several friends over my life that I've worked with that were in that situation ... and it's amazing the amount one can cut from the budget without really hampering lifestyle.

Tamara Sue Weisenberger Kruzzette posted:

I donate my donate my plasma. I get paid for my time, and I'm also providing plasma for lifesaving medicines.

I wanted to do that also. I know others who have but after having cancer I came across info where it say I can't give because of my medical history. 

I just put off buying what I need until payday. Usually before it is gone bills are paid and every day items that needed to buy are bought. If really need to will use credit card. 

A combination.  You don't spend extra money.  That said, if you have an emergency, that's what an emergency is for.  Building a buffer in your bank account can also help with lean paydays.

TheSugarFreeLife posted:

If I run out of money before the next paycheck arrives, my primary strategy is to look at my budget and see if there's anything that can be put off until the following paycheck. If not, I'll try to prioritize, pay minimum on anything I have to, carpool for a while to save on gas, see if there's anything that can be sold on Facebook market or Letgo. I may use my credit card to pay a bill and then pay it off as soon as next payday is here.

Those are great ideas.  I am glad they are working for you.

If I run out of money before the next paycheck arrives, my primary strategy is to look at my budget and see if there's anything that can be put off until the following paycheck. If not, I'll try to prioritize, pay minimum on anything I have to, carpool for a while to save on gas, see if there's anything that can be sold on Facebook market or Letgo. I may use my credit card to pay a bill and then pay it off as soon as next payday is here.

layitlo posted:

When I run out of money I sell things and try to find money where I can. I can't work a regular job so I do the best that I can. I 

I do that, too.  Sometime I can and sometimes I cannot get the item sold.

Nicole posted:

Our budget is currently so tight it squeaks!  But if we do come across an expense that puts us over the edge, we try to cut out what we can before we hit up our emergency savings account.

I hear you.  I try not to buy anything I don't really need.

Our budget is currently so tight it squeaks!  But if we do come across an expense that puts us over the edge, we try to cut out what we can before we hit up our emergency savings account.

Leslie Kay posted:

I usually fall back on to my credit cards. I am lucky because I have multiple sources of income and it seems like something always comes thru to get me by a few days til payday. I keep a super secret savings account not a lot of money in it and transfers take a couple days so I can at least get the essentials.

@Leslie Kay That sounds like a great idea!

I usually fall back on to my credit cards. I am lucky because I have multiple sources of income and it seems like something always comes thru to get me by a few days til payday. I keep a super secret savings account not a lot of money in it and transfers take a couple days so I can at least get the essentials.

Occasionally a really big expense, like a major car repair, happens that is beyond my monthly income. So I rack up my credit card (which I pay completely every month) and then do a 4% transfer to another card, and pay off within the timeline with reasonable monthly payments. It's a straight 4 % loan, no fuss, no muss.

kittykat1960 posted:

I usually just do without until payday.  I do have a small emergency fund if something comes up that truly cannot wait but I don't like to dip into it unless it is an emergency.

Exactly.  I am learning that sometimes you just have to do without.

I do not ever run out of money before the next paycheck due to careful budgeting and saving for emergencies. It has been hard work but worth it!

I usually just do without until payday.  I do have a small emergency fund if something comes up that truly cannot wait but I don't like to dip into it unless it is an emergency.

It depends on when I run out of money. Is it the day before? No big deal, I have food, gas in the car, I'm fine. More than a few days? Then I look at a credit card to deal with whatever the issue is.

We have money earmarked for specific future needs, the next car, retirement fund, and quarterly taxes, etc. We temporarily "borrow" from one to deal with the immediate need. If we run out of food money, then we cook up very creative meal combinations until the next payday. If this is an ongoing shortfall, we tighten out belts across all flexible categories. 

When I run out of money I sell things and try to find money where I can. I can't work a regular job so I do the best that I can. 

I pull from my savings because I have an account for this kind of thing. I build it back up at the next payday if possible. If its a big unexpected expense, it takes longer. 

Link copied to your clipboard.