231 Responses
You must sign in to take this survey.

You just received a $5,000 bonus at work. Your significant other says you should give at least $500 to your church or a charity. Go or no-go?

Go
No-go
Posted by Grace Schweizer ·

Add Comment

Comments (55)

Newest · Oldest · Popular

I said no go...it really just depends on how you are doing financially at that time. If your bills are paid and you have some left over as a reserve then by all means give to charity or your church but dont put yourself in a bind if you can use the money. 

You don't have to give to a church all the time.  You can give to a charity that you know is using the money correctly.  It's still giving to those that are less fortunate than yourself.

Tithing is Biblical. If you’re a believer give it a try. My husband and I are shocked that we never even miss the money. 10%can seem like a lot, but we haven’t regretted a nickel. 

It was a good question. The charity was an excellent choice. As for what charity I would want to donate money to would be an animal charity. I'd have to split it up as there are so many in need of donations. 

Pros: It's your significant other, it's reasonable, it helps your community, you've still got $4500 you didn't have before the bonus.

Cons: ... zilch.

I never had it in the first place, so why not share the wealth. I would probably share more than that in the way of gifts to family members. 

Give with a grateful heart is what I was taught, there is no defined amount (tithing was a tax that was used to maintain the temple... Christians are not held to that any more, see 1 Cor 9:7). You give what you can... being thankful feels good.

My husband and I have been tithing for years.  I truly believe we have been blessed in many ways because of it.  Some people are called to give money, some are called to give time.  I believe God leads me to give in different ways and to different people.  It's the spirit of giving.  It feels good, and does good!

If any one help me  showing a genuine website or earning apps in our state India  for earning $ 100 in a day /week /month  than I  shall be thankful 

Obviously your significant other isn't suffering from the crushing weight of student loan debt.

I would give the tithe to the church. I learned from my grandmother 75 years ago it doesn't matter if you lots of money or a little. She always gave her 10%. I have followed her example. I have been blessed more times than not.

You will NEVER go wrong giving!  Always the first thing out of my check is to the church.  Not out of fear if I don’t, but rather GOD said to prove HIM by our tithes and offerings in the book of Malachi. HE has never let me or my family down yet. If you will miss 1/10th of your check, you probably need to re-evaluate anyway. Definitely give!

I've been homeless twice and nearly wiped out by medical debt once, so I'm almost always willing to donate something to charity.  I donate monthly to Save the Children even though I don't make a lot.  I also volunteer with a faith-based program that helps homeless families get back on their feet--they always need someone to volunteer to spend the night at the shelter just in case something goes wrong--fortunately that's happened on my watch only once.  I've also written about homelessness for a couple of different publications, and used to have a job as a mental health blogger.  I try to educate people through my writing as my tithe.

I rarely donate money to any charity.  I prefer to donate my time instead, as that is more valuable to me as something I can never get back.  Teaching people new skills, tutoring (children through college), serving those less fortunate... I find those are better gifts to society (for me, not necessarily others!) than cash.

Give with a cheerful heart. If your heart is not in the right place and you don’t understand what the tithe is meant for then you should prolly not tithe just because you significant other says so. Don’t follow blindly but rather learn and listen to what God calls you to do. 

My church feeds the hungry, tutors, clothes and provides so much help I could never do on my own, so definitely yes.  A giving heart makes you a better person and that is what we should all strive to be.  Selfishness can make you bitter if you let it.

Actually, tithing 10 percent to your local church where you are receiving spiritual food is biblical. This is one way the Lord can enter into a financial covenant with you and allows Him access to be your Wisdom in your financial affairs. God is wiser than we are. Praise Him forever!

Even if it's not a church or ministry, $500 can help a cause you believe in, and you're still ahead financially. Some thoughts. Give wisely. 1) Check out the expense ratio first. What percentage actually goes to the cause you believe in, above "overhead". Some organizations have surprisingly well paid CEO's and high "advertising" costs. 2) A bigger chunk does more than many small gifts. For example. $5 to 100 organizations does little good, it costs almost that much to process the gift and pay for mailings. 

Because I grew up in church and seen how some churches really do help folks that are in need. My family has been helped before.

I believe giving should be a part of everyone's financial plan, whether it is giving to a church or your local charity.

Giving keeps us humble and also trains us to be responsive to the needs of others and helps us realize just how good we have it.

My mentor recommends giving no matter how tight your finances are, even if it is as small as a dollar.

There is just something healthy about giving.

Some things are more important than money.  Keeping the household peace and a good relationship with your significant other is paramount.

I would be the one insisting I donate to charity, not my significant other. I would not take it upon myself to tell him what to do with a bonus, nor would he tell me. I would absolutely donate to charities though. I have needed help in my lifetime and want to be the help that others need.

Link copied to your clipboard.