Credit Score Question

Does it make a difference in your credit score if you pay off credit card debt on one that is charging interest vs. one that is currently not? I am going through a divorce and have the means to pay off debt but the one with interest is in my name, that my ex will be responsible for…which one should I be paying??? And does the amount in which you pay off cc debt per month make a difference in your score?

1 Like

It doesn’t make a difference when paying off one with interest vs one without. The amount you pay will help you pay, but only because you will essentially be lowering your credit balance. The more credit available to you, the better your score. Rule of thumb is not to have a balance above 30% of your card limit. Good luck with everything.

2 Likes

Lowering your balance on a card will affect your debt-to-income ratio which will then help boost your credit score.

Paying off one charging interest vs one that is not will not affect it unless the interest you are being charged is increasing your balance every month even after payments.

When it comes to interest though, I always try to stress to people that interest is taking your hard earned money out of your pocket and you should do everything in your power to avoid paying interest.

The importance of a credit score really doesn’t matter if your finances are being hurt by interest.

I would rather have a low score and no interest than a high score and any type of interest.

I understand that a credit score has its place, but interest affects your bank account!

3 Likes

1,000,000 likes!!! wavey

Tiffany Diamond Lebowitz posted:

Does it make a difference in your credit score if you pay off credit card debt on one that is charging interest vs. one that is currently not? I am going through a divorce and have the means to pay off debt but the one with interest is in my name, that my ex will be responsible for…which one should I be paying???

You should pay the card in your name that is collecting interest. Do not let the responsibility become your ex’s, especially, if its not in their name. You need to remove their name from the account, if it is. There is no reason to leave your credit and credit score in your ex’s control. What if the payments are late, not made or maxed out from the accrued interest and late fees from their lack of paying your bill? You are getting divorced to split assets, debts and lives. Don’t leave any strings!

2 Likes

Pay the one with interest off first. The reason I say that is the company that’s charging interest, that company will nickle and dime you to death with interest and two, the company is making more money by the interest they charge, in essence you wind up paying more than you originally paid.

1 Like