Have you ever had a pet with diabetes?

20190323_104527

I was rather surprised to learn that pets can also get diabetic. When I noticed my cat (Bast) started losing weight rather rapidly. And she seemed to be using the littler box a lot more urinating. Needless to say a visit to the vet was imminent. What I didn’t expect at all was that Bast would be diabetic.

Bast is now 16 in human years, which is around 70 in cat years. Making her a senior citizen. And as you can see, she’s not in the mood for much this morning. Cats age around 25 human years within the first two years. Thereafter cats age 3 years for every one human year. Dogs age 7 years for every human year.

Had Bast since birth, in fact I had to help her mother during the birth process. She (mommy) was a rather tiny little cat. And Bast was a rather large cat even at birth. I had to help Phoenix through giving birth to 4 babies. Phoenix was later poisoned by someone for which I’m still really sad. That people could stoop that low to poison an innocent animal.

She (Bast) now has to get two insulin shots per day. One in the morning and the other in the evening. Which limits my mobility slightly as it’s not easy to always get someone to administer the shots. With Bast also being very particular over who touches her. So there’s that. And I would never forgive myself if she had to suffer. Just so I could have a holiday.

So the symptoms to look for in your pets would be excessive weight loss and urinating.

Do you maybe have a pet with diabetes? Or do you perhaps have a pet that shows symptoms?

DEON CHRISTIE I knew this about cats or dogs.
They can have all most any thing we can have.
I’m sorry about your cat but i love the way you take
care of her.

My family has talked me out of putting my dog to
death. I found out that she has athirst in her hips
and legs. So we are looking for steps so she can
get on the bed or in chairs. She all most 9 years
old. She so loving and caring. She had puppies 2
years ago. We kept one and she looks just like her
mom in her face.

I’m not sure how to post a picture or I post the 3 dogs
we have. 1 mine 1 my daughters and 1 is our son and
who ends up with them me they all like to sit on my lap. lol

Bonnie Squires posted:

DEON CHRISTIE I knew this about cats or dogs.
They can have all most any thing we can have.
I’m sorry about your cat but i love the way you take
care of her.

My family has talked me out of putting my dog to
death. I found out that she has athirst in her hips
and legs. So we are looking for steps so she can
get on the bed or in chairs. She all most 9 years
old. She so loving and caring. She had puppies 2
years ago. We kept one and she looks just like her
mom in her face.

I’m not sure how to post a picture or I post the 3 dogs
we have. 1 mine 1 my daughters and 1 is our son and
who ends up with them me they all like to sit on my lap. lol

She’s all fine @bonnie.squires. You want to add the picture as an attachment and then insert into post. Pets are precious indeed. Don’t mind taking care of her at all.

1 Like

DEON CHRISTIE thank you. When I find a good picture
of the 3 dogs i’ll post them

1 Like

I personally had a few pets when I was younger. They were family pets so not specifically mine.

One thing for sure about pets is they can be high maintenance. Sickness such as diabetes can cause expensive vet bills.

I am not much of an animal person myself but I do appreciate people who take care of their pets. There are far too many people who don’t care enough.

Your cat seems to be living a nice long life and that is evidence of your good care for her for which I commend you!

2 Likes

Moore Income posted:

I personally had a few pets when I was younger. They were family pets so not specifically mine.

One thing for sure about pets is they can be high maintenance. Sickness such as diabetes can cause expensive vet bills.

I am not much of an animal person myself but I do appreciate people who take care of their pets. There are far too many people who don’t care enough.

Your cat seems to be living a nice long life and that is evidence of your good care for her for which I commend you!

Thanks for the kind words @moore.income. There’s a history with her mother and sisters, and she’s the only one left. I’m much more of a cat person, don’t have a particular bond with dogs. Although I love animals all the same.

Nothing wrong to not be a pet person. And I admire the fact that in this case you don’t have animals. Perhaps for the same reason I don’t have dogs. Because they may not quite receive the love they deserve.

But my history with dogs also contribute to this. As a 7 year old boy I was ripper to threads by a Bull Mastiff (neighbor’s dog). Spent 18 months in the hospital for facial reconstruction. Therefore I tend to keep my distance with dogs.

2 Likes

Bonnie Squires posted:

DEON CHRISTIE thank you. When I find a good picture
of the 3 dogs i’ll post them

Only a pleasure @bonnie.squires. I took a picture with my phone (as she was laying on the table). Uploaded to my PC and then attached to the post. Quite simple, let me know if you need help.

1 Like

DEON CHRISTIE thanks i’m sure one of our kids can show me. lol
I can understand you with dogs. At 6 years old my grandma took
a stray dog in and she had it for years. I had a lollipop the dog wanted
i would give it to the dog. So the dog trip me bit my eye nose mouth
all i remember was having to put some red meds on. The dog did get
my lollipop. After that i was so afraid of dogs it wasn’t funny. I still
haven’t gotten over that fear totally but its gotten better

1 Like

Yes, I had a 21-year old cat (I adopted her from moving neighbors when he was 12) who had diabetes, insulin shots, the works. He had one limb amputated and got around fine, until he died of a stroke in 2003. I still miss my Kitman the Hitman.

I had a diabetic rat, and he did fine–lived to be two-and-a-half, which is about 100 in rat years (they age 40 years for each human year). Max was diagnosed the day he stopped eating due to a stomach tumor, so the difficult decision was made to put him to sleep. I was with him until the end, and seriously considered treating him, but medical bills would have been in the thousands and I was working in a restaurant in the time. Now I have CareCredit for vet care, and Nationwide ensures exotic pets. Recommend both highly!

1 Like

Our cat is diabetic. We give him insulin shots twice daily and check his blood sugar as needed ?