how to get a loan

I got a store card and built up my credit and score. Then I got a loan and paid it off in a timely matter. I got another loan 18 months later. I have also been approved for other store credit cards. I have not tried for a regular credit card, because my income is not very good now. But that’s how to build your score. My score was 0 and I built it up to 742

2 Likes

Great advice – and congratulations…job well done!

1 Like

Congrats!

1 Like

Mary Keil posted:

I got a store card and built up my credit and score. Then I got a loan and paid it off in a timely matter. I got another loan 18 months later. I have also been approved for other store credit cards. I have not tried for a regular credit card, because my income is not very good now. But that’s how to build your score. My score was 0 and I built it up to 742

That’s GREAT if you can take that first step, which sounds so easy “I got a store card and built up my credit score.” I admit that I am surprised that everyone has provided completely positive feedback bc the fact is that not everyone can just go get a store card and then a loan, and if they could, they probably wouldn’t be having a great degree of difficulty. That’s kind of where I’m at right now. I don’t have any credit card debt, it’s all medical bills and a repossessed car when I first fell ill. I do have a car loan, I’m paying a pretty hefty interest rate but am current-on time each month, on time with all utilities-but just going out and getting a card and a loan? Not an option.

Hello Penny Hoarders. If anyone can help me understand a medical bill I received from visiting the emergency room at a hospital in Fairfax County VA. I spent 4- 5 hours at the hospital, received a scan and an X-ray. A few weeks later I received a bill from the hospital for $10,000 plus. I was completely shocked about receiving a bill for that amount after spend no more than 5 hours at the hospital. (I do not have insurance because I cannot afford to pay for it along all my other bills and my student loan payments). I applied to the hospital for help with the bill and was given a discount which brought the bill done to a $1000.00 plus. This entire billing system by this hospital is unconscionable. I am still being asked to pay $1000.00. I have asked for an itemized bill on 4 occasions and I am yet to receive it. I need to challenge this outrageous hospital bill and need help from the Penny Hoarder Community on how to go about objecting and challenging this hospital bill which is another expense I really cannot afford at this time. (It does not pay to be poor in such a rich country) Please help.

@aglenda2000yahoocom, I find going in person and speaking to a human face-to-face is often helpful. I would go to the accounting/billing office and ask for an itemized bill, and start from there. You can then dispute the accuracy. If they can’t release the bill, ask who can, and so on. Squeaky wheel sort of thing.

A 90% discount sounds great, if, in fact, the bill is accurate. Have you applied for Medicaid? Even if you have been denied in the past, you may now be eligible.

3 Likes

Hospitals themselves usually offer a scholarship or aid program that has a higher % to income like 180-200% that will pay your remaining balances after insurance. Ask about it because it is not widely advertised.

That really isn’t low compared to many people getting just around $800. ER is expensive. Unless it is life or death go to urgent care or see your Dr. They gave you a $9000 credit I’d say get on a payment plan for the balance. Otherwise, get on that Medicaid/Medicare program they offer. I think the hospital did over and above.

2 Likes

You can get Medicaid and Medicare. Medicaid will pay the monthly fee. You can include up to 3 months prior to med bills.

3 Likes

Also you can apply for an SER thru local DHS office that may pay part of the balance. You have many options.

2 Likes

Yes I had no insurance and no credit in the late 90s and I got Medicaid to pay most of my hospital bill. I was in for 11 days and I don’t remember the amount. What was left over, I paid whenever I could and whatever amount I could. Maybe you should look into medicaid. The years in between I went to a free clinic in my area and when they cut me off in 2012, I got on Medicaid. The reason was because I was only working part time. The next year I bought an insurance plan through my employer. And then when they stopped having that one available, I bought it on my own. It was $0 premiums but I had co pays. They weren’t over $40 except $75 for the ambulance. I still have that insurance with a $0 premium and I’m retired now. But that medicaid helped. I had to pay a premium for that, but it wasn’t very much when compared to the bill I would have had to pay on my own.

1 Like

@aglenda2000@yahoo.com, I have learned to turn all stones, including seeking assistance from the Salvation Army and churches. It can be rough sometimes. I like info from KellyfromKeene. In addition to Medicaid, check out your AffordableCareAct (or whatever it is called today) benefits.

I live in Washington, DC, and I can say it has some of the very best health care for its citizens. I have been unemployed, sick, hospitalized, etc., and was always given a social worker who assisted me on what was available. Now that I’m a senior, and retired, my health care is the best!! Thank God, I get extra help, and though no one has explained it to me, I was put into a DC-based program called Qualified Member Benefits. I don’t know what it is and don’t know when I will no longer be eligible, but for the time being its a blessing.

I supplement my small retirement income as an Internet marketer (since 1996). I am not the greatest but I get out of it what I put into it. Anyway, I am going to check my programs to see if any offer health benefits to its members. If I locate one I will let you know. Just hang in there. It gets better. Knowledge is power.

5 Likes

Before getting a loan, make sure you get your rates from all possible/available lenders. Even minor difference in rate can lead to lot of savings. Also if you apply together as a joint application, you could get better rates if your joint applicant has a good credit history

1 Like

Ms. Andra powell Henderson, Thank you for replying to my dilemma.

Would you be so kind to supply more info on the Internet Marketer job you mentioned in your reply. I would like to look into that further.

Thank you.

Hi I had a similar situation when I had to go to the hospital and unexpectedly found out that I had cancer. They wanted to do surgery ,I had no insurance and Medicaid had turned me down . I met a nice lady at the hospital who told me to reapply to Medicaid and if rejected try again it took about 10 or 11 rejections before I was finaly approved just like she told me. After my surgery I still had probably $90,000 left to pay and I filed every application to every charity funding program there was . I will it took alot of applications and research but in the end I spent $0 . So look into every resource , ask every person about charities funding and fill out all applications even if you dont think you qualify you will be surprised by how much help is really out there. They just dont stick there hands out to let people know it. It’s there you just have to find it ,its like going on a scavenger hunt. I hope you have luck in finding everything you need. I probably wouldn’t be here if I didn’t but when doctors look at you and say you have a 3% chance of making it through surgery it can give you all the motivation you need. That and seeing my first grandchild did it for me, now I’m 2 1/2 years cancer free it’s the second time I’ve beat cancer.# grandma loving life