Organizations that will buy your home "as is"

Recently, we have gotten solicitations from a few organizations (i.e. “We Buy Ugly Houses”) that will buy your home as is. This helps the seller by not having to put the home on the market, stage it or fix existing problems with the home. Some even claim they will pay for all closing costs.

I was just curious if anyone has had experience with organization/s like this?

I appreciate any information that may be offered.

1 Like

I don’t have information, but I’m curious about this! Hope some have experiences they will share.

I don’t have any recent experience with we buy ugly houses, but they’ve been in our area for many years. When I was trying to sell my house years ago, the amount they offered was laughable. With that being said, my brother recently sold his house as is to Mark Spain Realtors and all things considered, I think he got a fair deal. The amount you walk away with, of course, is affected by such factors as what repairs they have to make before they can sell it, if you have a mortgage on the property, etc. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks Brigat,

Information is very helpful.

Some realtors have an offer that if they don’t sell your house in a certain amount of time they will purchase it. The only thing is they want to put it on the market for a very low price so if they don’t sell it, they can buy it for cheap.

Not sure if there are organizations around our area, frequently we see signs, usually hand written, to call a phone number to buy your house “as is”. From what I hear they offer you and astonishingly low price so you can walk away with a fast deal. People are liquidating their homes and vehicles to get some money to manage what they can.

Hi

I never liked these companies. They prey on lower income people or those down on their luck to give them a terrible price and then resell it at a profit.
I have to look for research to back this view up … they are vultures like many of our other institutions

Sharon

1 Like

Hi

This article talks about buyers remorse with we buy ugly homes but also has some good general information.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w…t-contract.aspx/amp/

Sharon

2 Likes

I’m really trying to get information on this as both my husband and myself are.disabled and I just found out I have cancer. We need to move closer to medical and what we get for this house is what we can spend on new home. Need all info I can get.

1 Like

Hi Donna, I’m sorry about your cancer diagnosis. Most realtors will come and give you an estimate on what your house is worth so you could get a few prices and then decide what you should do. You could then call one of those places that buy ugly houses and see what they offer. You don’t have to take their offer if it is really low ball. It’s very hard to sell a house. It’s a really large expense and people are cautious.

Wishing you well!

There are costs you should consider when selling through MLS. Off the top there is 6% of the sale price that will go to the relators. If your home needs repairs or updates to be comparable to those selling in your area, you will need to calculate that in. If you sell “As Is”, you will not get top dollar. Then there is time to consider.

That said, there are home wholesalers who are in business to help people and wholesalers who are out to make a fast buck. You need to know a few things to weed out the bad. I’m happy to do a little research for you as I’m just starting my side job as a wholesaler.

When I got a divorce (and lost my job two months later) my home in a wonderful community was in bad shape, my ex did no upkeep and made it a point to leave damage when he left the house. I had a friend who is a realtor and she connected me with her house flipper (wholesaler) who did repair work for her clients. He delayed payment until I sold and did major repair work, including landscaping and painting, although I did most of the painting and some of the repair work. My friend came in with her housekeeping friend and rolled up her own sleeves and brought in her stager. She was a blessing beyond measure, I would have made no money to sell “As Is”. I’m telling you this story because it was the house flipper that inspired me to do this also. He said “God has been good to me, you should have never been left like this and so I need to pass my blessing to you”. Which is also why I will help you, if you would like, to review what you should look for and how to make the best decision for you.

1 Like