What to do if you cannot afford hosting costs?

Speaking from experience, I know how hosting costs scared me getting started. And not to mention the necessity of adding the Yoast SEO Premium Plugin for WordPress. The two most important factors of having a profitable blog. I soon realized that “Basic” or “Shared” hosting however effective. It is advised to rather try the more advanced hosting options. But to afford all that is another story all together because it is expensive. And if you live in South Africa, with the exchange rate (around 15:1). Looking at the exchanged amounts in Rand (ZAR) is an instant remedy to constipation!

Hosting (VPS Hosting in Blue Host) and the Yoast Premium Plugin can set you back around $330 (for one year). Which in South African Rand (ZAR) is around R5,000-00. So you have two options to prepare for this kind of financial input.

Option one would be to determine exactly how much you would need for the first year ($330). And then save until you have enough, even if it does feel like 100 years. The trick is to not use the savings toward the end of the month crunch. Which is often a lot easier said than done. But if you really want something bad enough you’ll find a way. Because if you want something you never had, you have to do things you never done. Simple as that.

The second option is to earn the needed cash through paid online jobs with sites like Upwork, Guru and Freelancer. Mostly writing and social media jobs. But, like with surveys you have to qualify in order to be successful and earn a little on the side.

There are several online opportunities to earn from $5 - $60 per project or job. But much like with saving the money, it will take a bit of time. My most recent discoveries are two sites called UserTesting(dot)com and EnrollApp(dot)com. User Testing is more the review kind of jobs where you will need a microphone. Because they require you to talk and comment while you visit and review websites and view videos.

Basically the most important factors to eventually have a profitable blog is time and patience. Tiny objective steps in the right direction. It does however start with your own blog. Which is why the first step must be to prepare for the capital needed to start the right way. Having your own blog is the one thing all super successful affiliate marketers have in common. Along with their own digital products and unique content.

@deon.christie so very true what you said

1 Like

When it comes to hosting, you really get what you pay for. When I first started out in the internet marketing world, I searched for everything cheap, including hosting.

I ended up buying some random hosting package on eBay with a no-name company and that ended up turning out to be just a big headache and loss of money, albeit only a small amount.

Cheap hosting usually ends up being the worst hosting for your website. Not only does your site get hosted along with a whole bunch of sp@m sites and adult content sites, it also is generally going to be slow and unreliable.

I have gone with Godaddy hosting before, but have found that even that makes for a slow loading site. It is relatively inexpensive if you start out on their promo $1 a month for 12 months, but again you get what you pay for.

If you are just starting out, it is not a bad deal but definitely not something you want to stick with long term.

I am fortunate in that my mom actually runs a hosting company so I know that the sites on my shared hosting are reputable and my site speed isn’t affected.

My recommendation is to not skimp out on your hosting, but also, you don’t need the most advanced hosting when just starting out.

What is your budget when it comes to hosting? Find out what is possible and then don’t be afraid to stretch that a little if it means you get a better hosting.

2 Likes

@moore.income good info you gave there thanks

2 Likes

Bonnie Squires posted:

@deon.christie so very true what you said

Thanks @bonnie.squires. Rather expensive how one learn these lessons…lol! nod

1 Like

DEON CHRISTIE so very true i’ve learned the same way.
rite now i’m with go daddy been with them for a year now.

1 Like

Moore Income posted:

When it comes to hosting, you really get what you pay for. When I first started out in the internet marketing world, I searched for everything cheap, including hosting.

I ended up buying some random hosting package on eBay with a no-name company and that ended up turning out to be just a big headache and loss of money, albeit only a small amount.

Cheap hosting usually ends up being the worst hosting for your website. Not only does your site get hosted along with a whole bunch of sp@m sites and adult content sites, it also is generally going to be slow and unreliable.

I have gone with Godaddy hosting before, but have found that even that makes for a slow loading site. It is relatively inexpensive if you start out on their promo $1 a month for 12 months, but again you get what you pay for.

If you are just starting out, it is not a bad deal but definitely not something you want to stick with long term.

I am fortunate in that my mom actually runs a hosting company so I know that the sites on my shared hosting are reputable and my site speed isn’t affected.

My recommendation is to not skimp out on your hosting, but also, you don’t need the most advanced hosting when just starting out.

What is your budget when it comes to hosting? Find out what is possible and then don’t be afraid to stretch that a little if it means you get a better hosting.

Couldn’t agree more @moore.income. Hosting is most certainly a long term investment because professional SEO is a long term goal. I too have gone with GoDaddy, Hostgator, NameCheap, CoolHandle and the list goes on. All excellent hosting providers, don’t get me wrong. I just started exploring my options.

As for budget, I spend around $240 on hosting per year (for one blog) and a further $87 for the Yoast SEO Premium plugin. Let’s call it around $300 per year. I have since moved all my domains to BlueHost. And I especially like the simplicity with WordPress integration. Which is also how I discovered plugins, but please don’t get me started.

I speak fluent WordPress and most times it’s difficult to shut up…lol! crazy

Bonnie Squires posted:

DEON CHRISTIE so very true i’ve learned the same way.
rite now i’m with go daddy been with them for a year now.

GoDaddy is an excellent hosting provider @bonnie.squires, had a few domains with them at some point in time. But I have been using BlueHost for some time because I use WordPress as my site builder. It’s amazing what you can do with plugins.

1 Like

DEON CHRISTIE yes its not bad. I’m using word press on there to.
I no nothing about plug ins. I still have allot to learn about blogging
or websites.

1 Like

Bonnie Squires posted:

DEON CHRISTIE yes its not bad. I’m using word press on there to.
I no nothing about plug ins. I still have allot to learn about blogging
or websites.

You really should consider the Yoast SEO Premium plugin @bonnie.squires. I learned much of what I know about SEO from Yoast. SEO is really quite rewarding once you get the hang of it. Or shall I rather say addictive…lol? ninja

If you ever need help with your blog, I speak fluent WordPress.

1 Like

Bonnie Squires posted:

@moore.income good info you gave there thanks

Indeed @bonnie.squires. Definitely advice from someone who also learned the expensive way. But that’s the thing, these lessons enable us to share knowledge.

1 Like

I would say that Godaddy is a good hosting for starters but not something that I would recommend long term. I have noticed that some of my sites that I have hosted on Godaddy have been rather slow when it comes to site speed. Site speed also happens to be a SEO factor that Google takes into consideration so definitely something you gotta keep an eye on.

2 Likes

MOORE INCOME thank you very much

1 Like

DEON CHRISTIE thank you if i need help i’ll let you know.

1 Like

Moore Income posted:

I would say that Godaddy is a good hosting for starters but not something that I would recommend long term. I have noticed that some of my sites that I have hosted on Godaddy have been rather slow when it comes to site speed. Site speed also happens to be a SEO factor that Google takes into consideration so definitely something you gotta keep an eye on.

And you’re quite right @moore.income. Another SEO requirement resulted in me having to edit all posts and pages (80). I had no sub titles in blog posts. Which is now required while each paragraph below a sub title cannot exceed 300 words.

1 Like