Skip to main content

Hi, I have a question regarding bank account information. When I was 18 (I'm 34 now) I opened my first bank account at Bank of America. Every month my grandparents were supposed to deposit $1000 (my dad died when I was 11 and the money they were supposed to deposit was my inheritance). However, they stopped making the deposits without telling me. Evidently, my mother and grandfather had spent a lot of it prior to my 18th birthday. They had access to it until I was of age.

As a result, I had unknowingly overdrawn my account by about $3000-ish, which eventually went to collections. I was declared disabled at 26, and opened an account with BB&T because I started receiving both SSI and SSDI. I get direct deposit on both the 1st and 3rd of every month. BB&T, despite recently merging with SunTrust has started closing locations and atms. The closest ATM to me is 10 miles and inside of a bank meaning I can only use it when it's open. The closest one that's outside of a bank is about 17 miles. I also don't drive and rely on public transportation. These distances are crazy. I HAVE to switch to a new bank.

This leads me to my question. Given the amount of time that's passed and that I now receive direct deposit, would Bank of America allow me to open a new account? Essentially, is there any type of statue of limitations type thing that would apply? I've lived in Maryland my whole life so I would be opening the new account in the same state as the previous one. I would appreciate any feedback or advice. Thank you.


Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I know of only one bank in my area that doesn't do a check to see if one owes a bank money. I think you will just have to try it and find out. Did you pay the amount in collections? That might be a selling point for you. If not, then try a smaller local bank that will take time to listen and look at you as a whole person. Maybe a credit union? 

Maryland Statute of Limitations on Debt Collection

Take action if you have been sued or served with a lawsuit. Failing to act will allow the creditor to get a judgment against you. Once that happens, they can garnish wages, attach to assets or property, and pursue this for 10 or more years thereafter. It is important to read the summons carefully and follow the instructions provided. Call for help if you need it. But most importantly, don’t be late. You may have a defense to the lawsuit such as a claim that the complaint was not filed within the statute of limitations. Every lawsuit has a limit of time with which it must be filed. If the lawsuit filed against you was outside of the statute of limitations, you may be able to get that case dismissed.

Civil action: 3 years from the date it accrues, unless:

Promissory notes or instruments under seal, bonds, judgments, recognizance, contracts under seal, or other specialties: 12 years.

Financing statement: 12 years, unless a continuation statement is filed by a secured party six (6) months prior to end of twelve (12) year period. (Maryland, Commercial Law article Sec. 2-725; Courts & Judicial Proceedings Article Sec. 5-101 & 102.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.