Apparently the 2 trillion dollar financial stimulus bill provides for an additional (federal) payment of $600 a week. What is the process for receiving this additional amount? Will it be automatic? or is there something we need to do to receive it? I'm retired on SSDI and my spouse was furloughed from his job. 

Original Post

@Valerie R Walsh My thoughts are with you right now, and I hope that your husband's furlough will be short-lived. 

So my understanding is that the $600 extra per week will be automatic. If your husband has already started collecting unemployment benefits, it will automatically be applied at some point. If your husband hasn't started getting benefits yet — and this is a huge problem because so many people haven't been able to get through to the unemployment office — the extra $600 will be applied as well.

But the big question is when will people start seeing the extra $600? The state unemployment offices are simply not prepared for anything of this magnitude, and all this money is still going to have to go through the state.

I'm sorry that I don't have better answers right now, but we'll provide more info as it becomes available.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.