LOL I don't typically buy my olive oil by the gallon! But yes I do try to use the per ounce as a guide when comparison shopping. The hardest for me is toilet paper...double vs triple play, how many sheets am I really getting/how long will this actually last if it's thinner than what we usually buy, etc.

The best toilet paper advice I ever got was buy Scott's. Not only does it have a very low cost per unit--especially when you buy the biggest bag you can find, like at Costco--it also reliably degrades. Scott's, Hellmann's/Best Foods and Tide Pods are my go-to brands that I collect coupons, look for sales and buy in large quantities as long as the published costs per unit make sense.

Hi Savvy Susie: Scott’s for me, too, but my wife prefers Sam’s Members Mark. So we have 2 bathrooms and it’s not a problem. 😉. I also love Hellman’s but you should try Duke’s and Blue Plate. They are very good, too. I’m in Florida so Publix rotates all 3 brands on their BOGOs, plus they take manufacturers’ coupons on top of the BOGO. How lucky is that!

Concerning unit pricing: I always check that, never assuming the larger quantity is better priced. I may only save .000057¢ per each, but that’s my money and I’m keeping it!🤑

Add Reply