I have a pension that is invested in the stock market, so hopefully those managers know what they are doing. I decided to play around with a little money buying stocks since they are so inexpensive right now. And I do mean “little.”  I have no idea what I am doing, but I joined Fidelity, have been reading stock market research, learned on uTube how to buy.  I bought one share of Appian and two of Zoom. So with the Zoom I would have to wait until the stock goes public and splits to be able to cash out any money, right?

Original Post

Good afternoon @Lily! Both Appian and Zoom are publicly traded, so you don't have to wait to cash out. However, it's usually best to think long term when you're investing. For most of us, the taxes and fees eat up returns from frequent trading, plus you usually make the real money from letting your money grow over a long horizon and holding on even when the market takes a dip.

One thing to keep in mind is that the taxes are lower when you hold onto an investment for at least a year. When you sell after more than a year, your profit is considered a long-term capital gain, and the tax brackets are much lower. Short-term capital gains (the money you make from investments you hold onto for less than a year) are treated as ordinary income at tax time.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.