Skip to main content

I keep getting calls telling me that I qualify to repay my loans in a smaller balance or possibly eliminate all together.  I'm currently under Chapter 13, are these calls legit?

My understanding there is a percentage of my repayments are going to this debt, and that I will still have to pay back student loans and IRS, correct?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@Ladybug Lynn This doesn't sound legit. It's very rare that student loan or IRS debt can be reduced or discharged in bankruptcy. When you file bankruptcy, a lot of your personal information becomes public record and that can make you a target for scammers, so you have to be extra vigilant. But regardless of whether you're in bankruptcy, any time someone calls you and claims they can get rid of your debt, you should be extremely suspicious. Here's some information from the Department of Education about signs of a student loan scam: https://studentaid.gov/resources/scams

Hi @Ladybug Lynn! You're right to be suspicious. Government agencies such as the IRS, Medicare and Medicaid, social security, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, etc. rarely call consumers directly, and the government would rarely ask you for a fee or personal information of any kind over the phone. Here are a few other red flags to look out for when it comes to potential fraud and scams. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.