We’ve survived another week and made it to Friday Penny Hoarders!

Anyone else a holiday procrastinator like I am? Thanks to our Daily newsletter, I was reminded that there are only two weeks until Halloween - EEK! I still have no idea what I am dressing up as but want to take a more budget friendly approach with my costume this year. What are you all dressing up as? Do you have any tips for creating a fun costume on a budget?

And now for this week’s announcements…
Grab your library cards because we have started compiling the results of our latest survey, and you guys are full of great suggestions! Here are your top five suggestions for books about money:

1. The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey
  2. Your Money or Your Life: 9 Steps to Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence by Vicki Robin
  3. The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy by Thomas J. Stanley
  4. Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
  5. The Automatic Millionaire: A Powerful One-step Plan to Live and Finish Rich by David Bach

Finished reading all of these? You can browse all of the survey results in search of your next title here

Don’t have the time to indulge in a book right now? That’s okay, we have you covered! Here are some recent articles from ThePennyHoarder.com to help you make, save and manage your money: 

10 Quick Steps That’ll Have You Managing Your Money Like A Millionaire
As the Freelance Economy Nears $1 Trillion, It’s a Good Time to Be a Freelancer
This App Will Hold You Over with Up to $250 Until You Get Paid
Debt-to-Income Ratio: What it is and How to Calculate it
This Mom Gets Four Cell Phone Lines for $65/Month (Without Sacrificing Service or Data)

Our community feedback survey has closed, thank you to everyone who participated! We can’t wait to dive into the results to better help you in accomplishing your financial goals. Our two sweepstakes winners will be announced on Monday, stay tuned!

Finally, fun fact, did you know Wednesday was National Cut Up Your Credit Card Day? Here are this week’s most talked about credit threads and a couple that can use some love.

This week’s most talked about threads:
Using Fiona to Pay Off Credit Card Debt
Raise Credit Score

These Penny Hoarders need your help:
Christmas Gifting 
Job Loss, Retirement Fund, Credit Card Debt
Selling Mom’s House

Cheers, 
Ashlee

Ashlee is a Community Ambassador for The Penny Hoarder. Trading the mountains of the PNW for the beaches of FL, she enjoys exploring new places, cold brew and spending time with her family.

Original Post

When we were kids, my brother went out as Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors. We made a pot out of a cardboard box, then the plant's body out of a green blanket, and a mouth with red and white poster board.  We wrote "Audrey II" on the pot.  And it won in the town costume contest.

The books sound good--I've read Rich Dad Poor Dad and am not sure what to think of it.  Kiyosaki definitely gets the different mentalities right, but he's also bankrupted every business he's ever run and was involved in a REIT that said they were investing in trailer parks but was really vacant land.  I also find some of his advice to be of dubious legality--like avoiding taxes and insider trading.

I'm a big fan of "The Richest Man in Babylon" myself.  I also read a lot about investing in ETFs.  So far I've managed to put aside a little more than $1,000 over the course of two years and about $80 of that is profit from the investments.  I haven't read "The Latte Factor" yet, but it sounds like it's great advice if you can ignore the fact that the barista owns the coffee shop and the building it's in and is saying people are poor because they drink coffee.  I put all my coffee money aside for two years and only got $1000--no way in hell I'll be a millionaire at that rate.

Just my two cents.  I'd like to go out as Wednesday Addams.  I already have four rats that could be a prop.

@BeckAtsila, Kiyosaki isn't always to be taken at his word. I'm not saying he's a liar, but some investigation needs to be done before following anything he suggests. Motivational speakers earn most of their income from just that...motivational speaking and their ability to sell books or information they've either written themselves or have had a ghostwriter do for them. I don't think in my nearly 60 years of life that I have found ONE of these types that have given the truth about everything they've pushed off on people as the truth. We've dealt with people like him, Brad Richdale, Carleton Sheets, etc., and even Dave Ramsey. Ramsey is about the closest one to being totally truthful that I have found. Just do your research, even if you only spend a few minutes a day on it. I think you'll find the right path if you look for the truth behind the stories. 

BeckAtsila posted:

When we were kids, my brother went out as Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors. We made a pot out of a cardboard box, then the plant's body out of a green blanket, and a mouth with red and white poster board.  We wrote "Audrey II" on the pot.  And it won in the town costume contest.

The books sound good--I've read Rich Dad Poor Dad and am not sure what to think of it.  Kiyosaki definitely gets the different mentalities right, but he's also bankrupted every business he's ever run and was involved in a REIT that said they were investing in trailer parks but was really vacant land.  I also find some of his advice to be of dubious legality--like avoiding taxes and insider trading.

I'm a big fan of "The Richest Man in Babylon" myself.  I also read a lot about investing in ETFs.  So far I've managed to put aside a little more than $1,000 over the course of two years and about $80 of that is profit from the investments.  I haven't read "The Latte Factor" yet, but it sounds like it's great advice if you can ignore the fact that the barista owns the coffee shop and the building it's in and is saying people are poor because they drink coffee.  I put all my coffee money aside for two years and only got $1000--no way in hell I'll be a millionaire at that rate.

Just my two cents.  I'd like to go out as Wednesday Addams.  I already have four rats that could be a prop.

That is awesome you were able to apply what you learned reading about investing and come out on top. Saving $1,000 is no easy feat! 

Thanks for sharing your two cents. We may need to start a Penny Hoarder Community money book club to discuss all of the great books out there!

Happy early Halloween! Love that you want to include your pets in your costume.

Add Reply