Please excuse me if I have addressed this question incorrectly? But first time here, as I cannot find the answer by agency due to all? I’m very much hoping someone here might know the answer. I have not had to file taxes in years due to my personal poverty level of financial situation. But with the stimulus checks? I have noted that those receiving Social Security do not need to provide additional information if they have direct deposit on account? I only receive VA benefits and those are directly deposited? But is that of same situation with being governmentally on “file” as the Social Security or do I or should I file? And if I should file I have no idea how to correctly input my Veteran’s benefits as those are non taxable? I’m greatly concerned that if I provide a tax return incorrectly? It could prove horrible to correct. I’m completely by myself in all this, completely alone, not referring to a choice as in self quarantine but by myself here in Florida as was planning to return “home” to Virginia where I’m from & have some friendships still but then this happened leaving me here, with building anxiety further enlarged by now this question I can find no one available to answer. I thank you for the opportunity to inquire here? Prayers to all for lighter moments beyond the gray matter that covers the days at hand now. 🙏🏻💯 Again, thank you to all for any, and all reply’s. 

Original Post

Hi @Treeg! There's been so much confusion on this point, but as of this writing, IRS has NOT said that it will automatically take payment info for people on VA benefits (or SSI) for coronavirus payments. That means you will need to submit some basic info. But you won't need to file a tax return. The IRS finally made it possible to submit your info without filing a tax return via its website.

Here's more info: https://www.thepennyhoarder.co...xes/non-filers-tool/

The IRS may very well change its mind and decide it can use info for VA benefits, SSI, etc., to process the payment, but I want you to get your money as quickly as possible!

So I think the easiest solution is just to submit your info now. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to do so.

You don't have to file any tax-related info: just your name, DOB, SSN, bank account, etc. 

If you have any follow-up questions, I'll do my best to help.

We're all here for you, so you're not alone in this!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.