I have two kids in University, and under the current government rules, they are not eligible for any type of relief payment from the government.  Who is going to hire students for the four months of the summer?!  This is how my kids pay for their University, work hard in the summer save all their money and live very frugally during the school year so they don't have to work then.  I don't want them to go into debt - any job suggestions?  My daughter is training to be a toxicologist and my son an engineer.

Thank you for your help,

Janis

Original Post

A good option for earning income during this time is remote work.  Have you checked out The Penny Hoarder's work from home job boards?  Have them take a look here. Also, there is another site for remote work called We Work Remotely.

Best of luck to them!  Be safe and healthy! 

Unfortunately, there aren't any easy solutions to this dilemma. @Theodora's suggestion that your kids look into remote work is a good one.

If they have vehicles, they could look into delivery work. For example, Instacart is hiring 300,000 workers nationwide as it faces increased demand for grocery delivery. https://www.thepennyhoarder.co...stacart-coronavirus/

And here's a list of companies that are hiring 700,000 workers in response to coronavirus: https://www.thepennyhoarder.co...gs/coronavirus-jobs/

But honestly, this summer will probably be a lot different from any before it for college students looking for work — and really for all of us. That may require all of us to make adjustments to life, even after life returns to normal. 

So maybe for your kids, that means taking on a 10-hour-a-week job during the school year and/or taking out a small student loan in response to the changing circumstances. I'd also suggest they make an appointment with their school's financial aid office as soon as possible, provided they can make a virtual appointment, to discuss any options they may have for assistance.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.