Skip to main content

Image result for saving

Saving and budgeting are the most celebrated word among Penny Hoarders. As a saving expert, I have shared many shopping saving tips and amazing ideas to save money in my buying guides. Now, I want to know your favorite shopping hack which you always use and love it. Mine is the cart abandonment and hunting deals and coupons.

And yes grabbing freebies is my favorite hobby.

What's your's?

Last edited by Former Member
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Leslie Kay posted:
Madiha Jamal posted:

Mine is the cart abandonment and hunting deals and coupons.

And yes grabbing freebies is my favorite hobby.

What's your's?

What is the cart abandonment program?

In cart abandonment, if you leave something in your cart for later purchase, and don't check out, you can get a 20% discount promo code from the retailer within 24-48 hours. Most of the merchants usually send a discount or promo code via email to rescue the abandoned cart. This hack is seriously insane. you can get the item you like at some decent discounts.

P.S: Not all retailers send the promo code to rescue the abandoned cart.

You can find all the details about cart abandonment here:

https://wallethacks.com/cart-abandonment/

Hope this helps. Cheers :-)

When I was booking regular scheduled flights to the same city several times a year, I would book my next flight at the airport check-in counter and saved anywhere from $25 to $50 per round trip ticket. The savings came from the deletion of internet fees and some taxes the consumer pays when booking tickets online.

My caveats:  I've only tried this with one airline, Allegiant.  They had some rules to be aware of, the major one being you could only book at their ticket counter certain days of the week, which was a rule they instigated towards the end of my frequent flying with them. Be aware that many airline ticket agents are not aware of this savings, so asking doesn't always get you the correct answer.   Some research is suggested.

Madiha Jamal posted:

That's interesting. 

Happy accident when I discovered this. To keep it speedy (appreciated by the people in line behind you) I have everything written down and hand it to the ticket agent.  All dates, seat selections, baggage info and since they have all your information in front of them because you just checked into a flight, they can process reservations quickly........most of the time.

I also look at the reservations online before heading to the airport, Allegiant publishes their flight schedule and rates at least 90 to 120 days out. That way I can book the best value/convenient flight.  

Last edited by mintjulep

One of my favorite saving hacks is using the lottery, here in Maryland we have a second chance lottery, you scan in loosing lottery tickets for points for prizes or points for drawings of desired items, like a tech package, a camping pkg, vacation destination, exercise equipment, they change up as the drawing is won. The prizes are nice, anything from a magazine subscription to Omaha steaks, pet items,  flat screens, to computers....and love the assortment of gift cards. We have a friend that works at a local convenience store that has the lottery, she saves the discarded tickets for us.Every little bit helps. So far we have gotten a laptop, umbrella, car mats, pet beds, and gift cards.

@redcatcec posted:

One of my favorite saving hacks is using the lottery, here in Maryland we have a second chance lottery, you scan in loosing lottery tickets for points for prizes or points for drawings of desired items, like a tech package, a camping pkg, vacation destination, exercise equipment, they change up as the drawing is won. The prizes are nice, anything from a magazine subscription to Omaha steaks, pet items,  flat screens, to computers....and love the assortment of gift cards. We have a friend that works at a local convenience store that has the lottery, she saves the discarded tickets for us.Every little bit helps. So far we have gotten a laptop, umbrella, car mats, pet beds, and gift cards.

wow, this is something I didn't know. That's really amazing. Thanks for sharing your secret of savings :-)

It is illegal and against store policies to take customers discarded lottery tickets when you are an employee. They would lose their job if found out. I wouldn't brag about your method. It puts a lot of people at a disadvantage.

Michigan had a second chance lottery to earn sporting event tickets and I would take tickets people thrown away at the store to enter this program until employee told me how they can't do this and there is some sort of law she quoted. 

IDK if the police would have to catch you dumpster diving for tickets? sounds ridiculous to me. lol! ha ha-

Hey Leslie Kay,

Many thanks for drawing my attention to the lottery tx. I called the MD lottery today and they told me it is not illegal for the employees to take the second chance loosing lottery tx from the trash.  And to clear up the employee who has been "saving" tx for me, she simply texted me to let me know the bin was getting full. I appreciate you drawing my attention to this. A really good point!

My hubby and i take our coupons for cereal, and CVS' cereal coupons and bonus bucks and buy cereal on sale for $2.00 for a name brand boxes of cereal. Thurs. we bought 5 boxes of Kellogs cereal for$1.99. CVS allows us all to use their coupons and our coupons we get on line or from the newspaper together.  the clerks are always impressed and congratulate us for being savvy shoppers.  they also say they are learning how to shop themselves from us.  Shelia W.

Thanks to all who replied.  We have friends that we still play canasta with once a week.We potluck our meal and share our food, also.  This past week we were to bring a fruit tray to go with the chilli they made.  We went to our local grocery and found their reduced fruit and veg. bags. For$ 3.50 we bought enough oranges, apples, pears, and bananas, for the fruit tray but, we still have a fridge full of apples, oranges pears, lemons, limes, and a fruit stand of bananas, and our empty potato bin is now full of beautiful large bakeing sized potatos.  Most all of the produce was quality, probably the remaining produce from the box. Never pass up the reduced produce!! Our store is kind enough to allow anyone to take out a bell pepper from their bag and swap it for a yellow crook neck squash.  It is so nice when 2 or more families are there because we readily swap produce with one anothers bags and share eating and serving suggestions.  Happy healthy eating to everyone.  Shelia Wright

n

my favorite ways to save, don't be afraid to buy discounted fresh fruit and vegs., go to the bread store for discounted bead, cereal,crackers, plan your trips to shop and get it done on 1 day, and while you are at it go to the bank and post office, reheel your good shoes and learn to polish them. Never pay full price for clothing or shoes. my favorite story from our youngest daughter was when her friends made fun of the "rich little girl who was to proud to shop at Wal Mart for her white blouse for choir."  all the gals had paid $8.98 for their blouses. We bought her blouse for $5.00 off the sale rack at GAP. our local store had a deeply discounted rack by the dressing rooms. As we raised our kids, all our movies we watched were free to check out at the public library. we now buy my hubby's books about history. wars, and biography at the friends of the library sell. we live in a very generous community, Springfield, mo. 100's of 1000's of books, videos and music are donated and "friends of the library" sell the items. My latest find was a 6 videos on 'The Life of Hitler'.  for $1.00. We enjoyed it and learned so very much.  Now it is ready to redonate. Our favorite store is Name Brand Clothing. They sell so much more and are very generous with returns.  They sell china, cook ware holiday items, toys, appliances, etc. Never be ashamed to admit the nice shirt your hubby is wearing and the matching sweater vest cost $7.00 for both items. The shirt was Dillard's store brand and the sweater was Winter Silks.  Also, buy a repo car or truck.  We have done this 3 times and never regretted the decision. Oh, I bought our         $980,000.00 home at an auction for $210,000.00 at a bankrupt auction. My best buy ever.  Shelia Wright

never feel bad about asking for a discount, esp. if you have cash money in your hand or you are a repeat customer.  we have rental property and it is not unusual for a major appliance or 2 per year dies.  always buy from a local store. they do remember that your check was good and this was not your first time in their door. if they can't give a discount, how about free delivery and haul off the old appliance, too. any free service is great service.

A couple favorite hacks. Do surveys for gift cards or pay pal. // A coin jar. (I buy all our groceries with cash to keep us in budget. Change adds up.)// Using discounted postage on packages and envelopes. (Older still valid postage sold online at about 75-85%. You may have to lick or stick a few more stamps, but for me it's fun. Our kids are out of state and think it's hilarious getting a box covered with stamps.)

Google Surveys, Microsoft Bing Rewards, Amazon Shopper Panel - all three reliable, and quick, to earn a couple of gift cards with very little effort on your part.

Shopping through Rakuten or one of those sites to get stacked discounts. Looking for discounts and sales. Might as take the extra time to find the savings and do the math since you aren't leaving the house.

Discount sites for assorted products. Snagshout.com, stacksocial.com

Pennyhoarder.com and thebalance.com regularly have newly discovered discounts written in all the articles for that week so it's overused by the next day!

Put forth the effort to at least attempt to sell your old stuff before throwing it away. You never know what other people will buy! FB, garage sale, craigslist, ebay - worth a shot.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.