5 Habits of Personal Finance to Teach your Children

Today, it’s more important than ever before to save for the future. With so much uncertainty, and somewhat gloomy economic prospects - being prepared means that both you and your children will be able to steer around financial problems, or any difficulties that might come across your path.

As a parent, you want the same for your children when it comes to their personal finances. Yet, having a firm grip on how to navigate the uneasy road of personal finance in the modern day is no straightforward task. There’s a high chance your children are not merely as worried about money, or budgeting as you may be.

So to ensure your kids have a good understanding of how to work with their money and save some of their earnings to make a large purchase. Consider when the right time would be to talk to your kids about finances and budgeting.

For some children, especially those looking to move out of the house very soon - personal finances can seem like a daunting undertaking, so allowing them the opportunity to learn from you from an early stage or point in their life will take a lot more stress off their shoulders.

Consider the following 5 habits of personal finance that you can teach your children.

Habit 1#### Start with the Basics

Whether your children already started earning their own money or not, start with basic guidelines on how to work with what they have. When it comes to both spending and saving, make sure that there is a clear distinction between how much one should be saving up, and what is available to spend on other activities and goods.

It might seem that you’re confining your children’s financial freedom, and how they should spend their hard-earned money - but on the contrary, one can see the basic principles of personal finance as a guideline. Through this, children will be taught that although money is constantly coming in, making more important payments first will allow you to see how much money one has at your disposal.

Habit 2

Teach the value of money

Some parents have found it easier to teach children about personal finance once they have explained the true value of money.

But what is the value of money and how do you explain it?

Well, money can mean a lot of different things for various people, but ultimately one can consider how money can be used as:

• Medium of exchange
  • Unit of account
  • Store of value

From these three focal points, parents will be able to instill an understanding of how money can be used to purchase and pay for goods or services. There are of course underlying complexities that can make it seem more challenging to explain, but mainly one should focus on how you use money, and how it impacts your personal finances.

Habit 3#### Make saving a habit

For those of us who are fortunate enough to have saved up some of our earnings, creating a habit of saving for your children gives them a clear indication of how spending less now, can give them more for later.

More so, it puts them in the position to save up for that first car, or perhaps a down payment on a house or a student loan. Whatever the purchase, make that the goal. Saving takes discipline and is a skill some adults still struggle with. One can either make use of traditional saving models or perhaps dabble into some of the various online resources currently available.

Habit 4#### Teach them about investments

This is an interesting topic that has become more commonplace among younger adults looking to diversify their savings and monetary flow.

Teaching children about investments, and how to allocate the right amount of money for an investment opportunity gives them more than one channel to build a better financial understanding.

There are different investment opportunities, so having your children be aware of each, and understanding the basics of each is already a massive step forward.

Habit 5#### Show them the positive and negative aspects of money

As we all know, money can impact our lives in many ways, and through means of personal finance, we can establish a positive and stable financial position.

Bringing together pieces of both positive and negative aspects of money grants you the opportunity to teach your children ways in which money should work for them and not against them. Their finances should be in a condition that allows them to become financially prosperous, and set up a budget for future endeavors.

The takeaway

In many ways, we understand how children look up to their parents as their role models, thus one should practice what you preach. Be sure to teach children valuable habits of finance, and how they can grow their personal finances, become independent early on in their lives, and help build their knowledge.

Finances shouldn’t be something one should be intimidated by, as it forms part of everyday life. Being able to juggle different hats, gives children a clear picture of how money works, and how you can instill habits which would make them financially prosperous,

3 Likes

Welcome to The Penny Hoarder Community @pierre! As a father of a toddler, these are tips I’ll be keeping in mind as he grows older. I’m definitely thankful for the personal finance knowledge my parents shared with me when I was young, even though most of it went right over my head at the time!

3 Likes

Habits 3 and 4 I feel are crucially important. I think saving/investing are the main drivers of long-term wealth and financial security.

The other habits I feel are quite important as well because the right mentality of money means the right motivation to do the proper saving/spending.

Habit 5: Watch HBO’s Succession with them to chat about the positive (and sometimes the very negative effects) of money lol. I’m kidding of course but am currently obsessed w/ that show.

https://goodmoneygoodlife.com

2 Likes

Hello @Pierre love the content! What age do you think is best to start these conversations with your kids? My wife and I have a 7 year old and I want to open a child’s banking account for her so she can start learning how to budget her money and learn to be financially responsible. My wife thinks she is too young, what do you think?

2 Likes

@todd.a posted:

Hello @Pierre love the content! What age do you think is best to start these conversations with your kids? My wife and I have a 7 year old and I want to open a child’s banking account for her so she can start learning how to budget her money and learn to be financially responsible. My wife thinks she is too young, what do you think?

Todd A, My parents opened my first bank account when I was 4 years old, (over fifty yrs, ago). They took me with them to the bank, that is when I started to learn budgeting and savings.

1 Like

https://community.thepennyhoar…0#551191019075272320

Great, thank you!

2 Likes

mine are all grown up but i would share this with the grandchildren thanks for sharing

2 Likes

@will.s posted:

Welcome to The Penny Hoarder Community @pierre! As a father of a toddler, these are tips I’ll be keeping in mind as he grows older. I’m definitely thankful for the personal finance knowledge my parents shared with me when I was young, even though most of it went right over my head at the time!

Thank you very much Will and happy new year! A very nice welcome to this forum i am looking forward to interacting further in 2022.

2 Likes

@pierre posted:

Thank you very much Will and happy new year! A very nice welcome to this forum i am looking forward to interacting further in 2022.

Happy near year to you as well. Looking forward to seeing more of your insights here in The Penny Hoarder Community!

1 Like

CFPB- the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has some good guidelines and resources for teaching kids about finances.

https://www.consumerfinance.go…us/parents-and-kids/

FDIC Money Smart has a more detailed curriculum.

As a parent, you want the same for your children when it comes to their personal finances. Yet, having a firm grip on how to navigate the uneasy road of personal finance in the modern day is no straightforward task.

Great topic to write on! Kids can get so used to getting everything they want and little things like getting food delivery at the snap of a finger. I think teaching them the value of a dollar can go a long way and instill values that will stick with them for life. Getting your kid the right debit card and teaching them values is also important. Once they start going to college, they will have to know how to budget and beat student loans if they really want to succeed.

Has anyone taught their kids entrepreneurial habits or ways to make money so they can realize the value of a dollar? Or had any experience taking your kids to volunteer? How has that shaped their outlook on money and spending time with those who are less fortunate? Sincerely interested.

1 Like

I am a social worker and my kids regularly spend time with people who receive all kinds of assistance. In fact, we were that family for several years. I talk with them about how blessed we are ALL THE TIME. I bring them to activities at my work. We volunteer to help out in the community. I do believe that their exposure to people who have less than us has been a great experience. They know that there is a diverse range of people with a diverse range of income and ability. They are more compassionate because of this, in part.