A beginner's guide to investing

Hey Penny Hoarders,

For the longest time, I thought that investing was reserved for the financial elite. I didn’t really understand the terminology and it just sounded too complicated to be worth my time.

A year after starting investing, I now know so much more and I’m happier (and wealthier) because of it. Investing is the best (and most effortless) way to create wealth.

I’ve written down some thoughts for people who are also only starting out on their investment journey. You can find it here. I hope that it helps you make the decision to invest your hard-earned money!

Yours in financial freedom,

I learned everything I know about investing from the Indianapolis-Marion County Public Library. Check your library for books on investing, especially “A Random Walk Down Wall Street” by Burton Malkiel and “Millionaire Teacher” by Andrew Hallam. If you’re not a reader, both basically say it’s almost impossible to beat the market and you should aim to match the market by buying a diverse index fund. I’ve managed to invest on $8.50 an hour through Stash, and I keep an emergency fund tied up in Acorn. If you think you’re too poor to invest, check out microinvesting apps.