Extreme Couponing Tips to Add More Money Into Your Wallet

How to become an Extreme Couponer?

We should cut back on our spending habits as the world’s economy is increasing at a fast pace. If we don’t save today, then we can’t build a financially stable future. And saving means creating a strict budget and spending the bare minimum strategically until your debts are satisfied.

One excellent way to maximize savings is to follow the tradition of using coupons while shopping. Coupons are one of the most authentic money savers that warrant savings. But how can you use them strategically or combine two or more to get the best possible rates? Extreme Couponing is the secret!

If you know some extreme couponing tips, then you could leave the grocery store with a cart full of products without hurting your wallet. Chances are, you could score some products nearly FREE. You can literally save up to 90% on your purchase with Extreme Couponing.

Here are some extreme couponing tips that can give you massive rebates.

1. Collect coupons as much as you can

Number one thing to do is, gather as many coupons as you can. Get them from Sunday magazines, store flyers, online coupon sites, and coupon apps. Collect all the insert, printable, or digital coupons from manufacturer and store. And always collect four or more coupons for a single product from a different manufacturer to maximize savings.

2. Shop in bulk

Extreme couponers love stockpiling. They buy the products in bulk whenever the products are on promotion or sales. Bulk buying doesn’t mean collecting everything that you won’t use in the long run. It means to buy the stuff that you will use for a longer time, and that won’t get expired. Like tissue rolls, bathroom rolls, shampoo, bath soaps, snacks, etc.

3. Learn the formula for stacking coupons

The forte of Extreme Couponing is to stack coupons strategically. If you know the right ways to combine BOGO coupons, manufacturer or store coupons with store sales and promotions, then you can make the most out of your money.

Stacking coupons is like,

Purchase the product when it’s on sale or use BOGO coupon Plus double, triple both Manufacturer and store coupons, add loyalty Card of the store and then add any Cash Back Coupon Offers if you have. It will land you to BIG SAVINGS!

4. Don’t be afraid of research

Extreme couponers aren’t lazy bugs. They are the dedicated and passionate humans who actually want to save money and spend their time on it. To do this, they become a student and research a lot. Find coupons online needs a lot of research like watching videos, interacting in communities to know if anybody is giving away its coupon, finding latest deals and sales, or putting necessary homework before making any purchase.

5. Never miss Rainchecks

Rainchecks and overage opportunities are the dark horses in extreme Couponing. You never know when you will get discounts with these two techniques. If the item on sale is worth $4 and runs out of stock at the store, you will get a raincheck voucher from the store. So, when the item comes back to inventory, you can buy the item at a price written on the raincheck voucher no matter if it costs $7 after two months.

3 Likes

Extreme couponing has always fascinated me! I do it to a small degree, like stacking coupons, but I could never call it extreme in my household.

I have a question for you Madiha Jamal. Do you have 1 or 2 stores you really concentrate on for your extreme couponing? It does seem like it could become overwhelming…any tips on how to get started?

2 Likes

I have in the past (when we were a family of 4) done well with coupons, sometimes extreme couponing, now it is the 2 of us and those days are over, and so is the stockpiling. One thing mentioned was getting a rain check & this is great! Also, I find I have to be very observant when clipping coupons and carefully check expiration dates. Ideally using the coupons and the sale price is the optimal way to go. Secondly, raincheck combination and the coupons work equally as well when the item is back in stock. Often these sale items were out of stock either due to a rush of customers or the store not having the inventory. When the items were stocked again, I discovered my coupons had expired, that eliminated the whole perfect deal, then comes the question of really wanting and needing the item even at the raincheck price, more often than not, I might buy 1 or 2 of the item. So all that work and planning can be of decreased value.

3 Likes

redcatcec posted:

So all that work and planning can be of decreased value.

redcatcec, that’s important! I’m good at not falling for unnecessary purchases just because I have a coupon, and often I’ll be standing in the store looking at my “deal” but also looking at the store brand product shelved right next to the “deal” and toss that coupon right out because the store brand is a better buy.

But planning can go awry, and there is no doubt there is some time invested in pre-planning a shopping trip. I wouldn’t have had the time to do most of the couponing and cash back apps I do now when I was working full time. Retirement has made the time investment possible.

I seldom have to take a rain check, thank goodness, but you are correct and I didn’t think about a coupon expiring while waiting for a re-stock!! Thanks for bringing my attention to careful notice of that fact!!

3 Likes

MintJulep, You are so right when the store offers it’s non-name brand items for less, just grab them up. What I do If I have a coupon or more and someone may want to use it, I’ll leave it right there on the item. It may have more value to someone who wants to buy the name brand. It could be the magic in their day.

3 Likes

Yes!! And I’ve been the beneficiary of others who leave their coupons there by the item! I do same! When I was getting my coupons from the Sunday paper, I would take the entire flyer to do some of that, but I have to admit, it became a bit much.

I have to chuckle at my own enthusiasm; I recently just blurted out in the aisle( while standing in front of the name brand soups) to a woman that was obviously pondering her selection that the next day those soups would be BOGO. It was spontaneous and I was embarrassed for myself for being so forward! But she thanked me and walked away. I don’t know if it was because she thought I was a crazy woman and wanted to get away from me or if she decided to wait for the new weekly sales to come out the next day! Yikes, not to be arrested for harassment! LOL!

3 Likes

I just love it when spontaneity happens! People are so worried about being something perceived by someone and imposing all kinds of restrictions on themselves. I have done the same thing in stores, sharing information with gusto about products is not an arrest-able offense! There is too much drama and too much over-excitability as a response when new situations arise.

I have also lugged the coupon section in Sunday’s paper to the store and now have abandoned that idea. We just don’t use the items in it that have coupons. They usually don’t apply to us and are expensive even with that coupon, basically paying for advertising. I have more of a homespun approach to the things that are in these offerings, keeping it simple, eliminating lots of chemicals and high prices.

3 Likes

I never did extreme couponing, but did scan all of the local grocery ads (at that time I had 3 or 4 grocery stores within a 5 minute drive) and did lots of couponing. I would plan my weekly menu around the sale ads and stock up on the great sales combine with the coupons (what a rush!). We were a family of four and at that time it saved significantly. Unfortunately, it’s also the time of your life (husband, kids, work, household chores) when you can least afford the time you have to put in to be that organized, so it fizzled out dramatically, but I did the best I could.

Now, it’s just the two of us, but I will still scan the coupon inserts but only cut out the ones we actually, definitely use. I buy store brand and still stock up on items that won’t spoil when the prices are great.

2 Likes

mintjulep posted:

Extreme couponing has always fascinated me! I do it to a small degree, like stacking coupons, but I could never call it extreme in my household.

I have a question for you Madiha Jamal. Do you have 1 or 2 stores you really concentrate on for your extreme couponing? It does seem like it could become overwhelming…any tips on how to get started?

Yes, you can start with your nearest Walmart, CVS or Target stores. If you want to start extreme couponing then read this beginner’s guide. It will help you in taking the first step.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w…treme-couponing/amp/

2 Likes

dboothe posted:

I never did extreme couponing, but did scan all of the local grocery ads (at that time I had 3 or 4 grocery stores within a 5 minute drive) and did lots of couponing. I would plan my weekly menu around the sale ads and stock up on the great sales combine with the coupons (what a rush!). We were a family of four and at that time it saved significantly. Unfortunately, it’s also the time of your life (husband, kids, work, household chores) when you can least afford the time you have to put in to be that organized, so it fizzled out dramatically, but I did the best I could.

Now, it’s just the two of us, but I will still scan the coupon inserts but only cut out the ones we actually, definitely use. I buy store brand and still stock up on items that won’t spoil when the prices are great.

You are still trying to save as much aa you can and that’s what really matter that you could save money in any way. I am glad that you are on the right track and saving your hard-earned money like a real couponer.

You guys are really very budget-savvy. You know how to spend smartly rather than just making an investment. You are actually making the most out of your hard earned money.

1 Like

MADIHA JAMAL, Thanks for the information and the link.

1 Like