Have you ever sat through a timeshare presentation to get free stuff?

Have you ever sat through a timeshare presentation just for the freebies? If so, was it worth it? Did you get pressured into buying a timeshare?

Timeshares are a pretty emotional topic. I know people who have bought them with zero regrets. But horror stories also abound about people who agree to attend a presentation and get pressured into buying one, then find that it’s impossible to resell. Here’s a recent letter from someone who has bought several timeshares and worries that her son will get stuck with the fees. https://www.thepennyhoarder.co…tuck-with-timeshare/

The letter writer admits she has trouble saying no. But if you’re pretty good at saying no, you can get some great deals in exchange for a few hours of time. Years ago, my ex and I got free two-day tickets to Universal Orlando in exchange for sitting through a sales pitch. It was EXTREMELY high pressure. For me, it was pretty simple.

I knew I didn’t have the $2,000 I’d need to make the purchase, nor did I have the credit to borrow it. I definitely wouldn’t have asked anyone to lend me money. My ex did have $2,000 (but not much more) and was seriously considering it. We wound up in a big argument that was very much egged on by the salesperson. Fortunately, my ex ended up not buying the timeshare and we enjoyed our time at Universal.

Even though the sitting through the pitch was miserable, it wasn’t necessarily a bad deal since all it cost us was a couple hours. I have a friend who got a free three-day trip to Mexico a few years ago for sitting through a half-day spiel. If you know you can be firm and not be pressured into buying something you don’t want, I guess it’s a decent way to get free stuff.

If you’ve ever sat through a timeshare pitch, what was the experience like? Did you get any good freebies or deals? Was it worth it?

3 Likes

Actually, I sat through a timeshare presentation many years ago. There was a list of free gifts, which I don’t recall now. I didn’t realize what a hard sale it would be, but thankfully, I resisted. I can’t imagine only wanting to vacation in a single location.

3 Likes

No way! It’s just not worth it. I have to admit I’ve thought about though. However friends that have been said its not worth the hassle. These things always have a pitch person that puts high pressure on you to buy using every trick in book. My friends told they tell the names of all your neighbors who buy and make you feel you have to keep up with the Jones to feel good about yourself and provide for your family.

2 Likes

I have never personally been in any situation where I would have wanted to sit through a sales pitch but if I thought it was worth it, I might be willing to give it a shot.

As long as I was able to keep my eye on the prize of what I was trying to get for free, I feel I could come up with enough excuses on why their pitch just wouldn’t work for me.

2 Likes

@sybil.oIt was very disorienting! I think the sales guy took us to three different locations. This was back in the flip-phone days, so walking out wasn’t as simple as Ubering back to the hotel. If they were selling a good product that people actually wanted to buy, they wouldn’t have to use such shady tactics.

1 Like

I have not sat though a presentation, but I would like to. I want a timeshare! When I was single I couldn’t afford it, and when with someone, they don’t want it. So…

I have friends who have one and use it and love it. It sounds like they are the exception, but it has worked well for them.

1 Like

The closest experience I’ve had to this is to sit and listen to some pitch over the phone about buying a timeshare for a free cruise. Ultimately, I had to just hang up on the sales person, as it was impossible to end the conversation any other way.

2 Likes

Ugh, Will, the phone pitches are the worst. I always end up hanging up.
That has to be a TOUGH job.

did it 20 years ago and its not worth it

1 Like

We have sat through several just to get the ‘freebies’. The hardest sales pitches were from local camping clubs and we walked away with sleeping bags and hats. Lousy pay for four hours of our time. In Mexico, we received a free rental car for one week along with a free breakfast. The pitch there wasn’t too hard to say no to, but the pressure was still hot and heavy. The harder they push, the more we dig our heels in and say no.

The one I sat through went on and on for 2 hours. We received dinner and a free night at the resort-probably wouldn’t do it again

1 Like

@rodack Was the dinner any good? Sounds like torture :laughing:

My mother attended a few of these. She went on a couple of trips and got a few gifts that she used as Christmas gifts. She liked the slide shows and the coffee! She used the excuse that my dad wasn’t present and could not entertain any plans without him. On the other hand, a friend who spent thirty plus in the Army loves his! He is always trading locations with others. I have sat through similar sales pitches for stock investment.

2 Likes

We have done it numerous times in the past when vacation wasnt affordable. It was well worth the 6 days, 5 nights for $149. Now I value my time too much, but my husband is mouth o mighty so he has done it without me a couple years ago.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m guilty. But I usually fall for what their selling and sign up. lol

1 Like