Too hard to buy a bigger house for a growing family?

It’s definitely a very hot housing markets for sellers in the U.S. My partner and I were lucky enough to buy an old fixer-upper just before the pandemic hit. Like much of the rest of the country, here in Twin Cities, any decent house will sell almost immediately and go for quite a bit over any reasonable asking price.

That said, we foresee us outgrowing our little bungalow in a year or two. The thing is, even if we find a bigger house we can afford, we don’t have what it takes to be competitive in putting in a bid – i.e. put up a 20+% down payment, forgo inspection, etc. We’d have a chance if we sell our current house – we could use our marginal profits toward the aggressive down payment. But if we do sell our current home, we’d have no guarantee we’d win the bid on another one. Currently, the possibility of being stuck in between selling/losing our current home with no guarantee of a new home is not worth the risk. So, for now we’ll stay.

Is anyone else in a similar situation? Is waiting till the housing market becomes more favorable to buyers our best option? Then we’d risk losing a bit more when we sell… Quite the catch-22.

Well, I guess depends on how important buying the new house is to you, and consider the tradeoffs from there.

I think if the market depreciates (by a %), then upsizing means that:

(Bigger house cost - smaller house cost) = Your original deficit.

(Bigger house cost - smaller house cost) * (1 - market drop %) = Your new deficit.

Thus, as long as the market drops equally from the big vs. small house, your new deficit = (1 - market drop %) * your original deficit.

It’d pay to wait for the market to drop in this case, since upsizing means the bigger house would be more expensive, I feel.

You may also be able to have a contingency in your sell agreement that you can sell the house only if you can buy one – though it may or may not be difficult for realtors to work with you on that one. I guess one could take refuge that most people swapping houses (selling their primary for another primary) will be facing the same issue. When I used to buy single family rentals, the sellers would run into the same problem as well. Usually, they’d bid on a house and then market the house.

Keep in mind that speed = money so for a quick sale you might need to have concessions, which makes your deficit bigger.

You may be able to bridge this gap by comparing the price you’d pay for just staying in a hotel for a month as transitory vs. lowering the price of your house for a quick sale.

I’ve got a friend who has switched companies and moving from CO → CA and facing somewhat of the same issue. However, as he works at a generous firm (FAANG), he just puts him in a corporate housing situation until he’s sold his house and bought a new one. Currently, he’s sold his old one and bought a new one. The new one is under some rehab but will be done in a few weeks.

So an alternative for you is to make yourself very attractive to bigger firms that don’t mind giving you and your family corporate housing in the interim and that way, you don’t have to pay at all and you won’t have to worry about the “sell and then buy quickly” situation!

https://goodmoneygoodlife.com

It is hard! I purchased a condo 2 months before the pandemic hit and real estate went crazy. Its great for me and my 2 boys, but I got married in 2020 and it is very small for all 4 of us. Who knew one person would make such a difference! We have several advantages- I’m not selling this condo and we are purchasing in cash. STILL cant seem to find a reasonably priced home. They continue to go 50K over asking and we can’t cover that. So we wait. I keep my eyes open, but it seems like its not going to happen soon. I look forward to it though!

1 Like

Thanks for the insights @angie.p We would go the contingency route, but we’re finding it’s too hard in this market because there are so many buyers who can offer cash no questions asked.

@kellyfromkeene Yes, it’s so tough right now! While we’d love to get a bigger house as our family grows – and having some extra space where family and friends could stay – we’ll likely have to wait things out till the market slows down. To be closer to family, we were looking at houses is the Portland, Maine area. My goodness, many of the houses there have nearly doubled in value in the last two years. Unbelievable.

2 Likes

the prices have changed in so many ways, houses cars grocery i say good luck to all

1 Like

@irishnanny posted:

the prices have changed in so many ways, houses cars grocery i say good luck to all

I hear that!

1 Like

While you might not get the best price, selling to one of the iBuyers (e.g. OpenDoor) might help in your situation. They have flexible close schedules and you would not have to sell until you found a new house. An option to look into at least.

@andrew.h posted:

While you might not get the best price, selling to one of the iBuyers (e.g. OpenDoor) might help in your situation. They have flexible close schedules and you would not have to sell until you found a new house. An option to look into at least.

Thanks for the tip, but definitely would be looking to get best price!