What are your favorite Saving hacks?

Saving and budgeting are the most celebrated word among Penny Hoarders. As a saving expert, I have shared many shopping saving tips and amazing ideas to save money in my buying guides. Now, I want to know your favorite shopping hack which you always use and love it. Mine is the cart abandonment and hunting deals and coupons.

And yes grabbing freebies is my favorite hobby.

What’s your’s?

2 Likes

I have saved a lot buying discounted gift cards (with cash back). I use them to buy things online (with cash back).

4 Likes

I have money automatically pulled from check and put into a savings for vacation, car payments and credit card payments. That way i never have to think about it

3 Likes

Madiha Jamal posted:

Mine is the cart abandonment and hunting deals and coupons.

What’s your’s?

What is the cart abandonment program?

2 Likes

I use the Acorns app, automatic investing from Vanguard, and automatic investing from Ally. When I automate I’m much more likely to save, so that’s what I set myself up to do.

6 Likes

lismox posted:

I use the Acorns app, automatic investing from Vanguard, and automatic investing from Ally. When I automate I’m much more likely to save, so that’s what I set myself up to do.

This is something new for me. Thanks for sharing the idea :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Leslie Kay posted:

Madiha Jamal posted:

Mine is the cart abandonment and hunting deals and coupons.

What’s your’s?

What is the cart abandonment program?

In cart abandonment, if you leave something in your cart for later purchase, and don’t check out, you can get a 20% discount promo code from the retailer within 24-48 hours. Most of the merchants usually send a discount or promo code via email to rescue the abandoned cart. This hack is seriously insane. you can get the item you like at some decent discounts.

P.S: Not all retailers send the promo code to rescue the abandoned cart.

You can find all the details about cart abandonment here:

https://wallethacks.com/cart-abandonment/

Hope this helps. Cheers :slight_smile:

5 Likes

When I was booking regular scheduled flights to the same city several times a year, I would book my next flight at the airport check-in counter and saved anywhere from $25 to $50 per round trip ticket. The savings came from the deletion of internet fees and some taxes the consumer pays when booking tickets online.

My caveats: I’ve only tried this with one airline, Allegiant. They had some rules to be aware of, the major one being you could only book at their ticket counter certain days of the week, which was a rule they instigated towards the end of my frequent flying with them. Be aware that many airline ticket agents are not aware of this savings, so asking doesn’t always get you the correct answer. Some research is suggested.

3 Likes

That’s interesting. :)

Madiha Jamal posted:

That’s interesting. :)

Happy accident when I discovered this. To keep it speedy (appreciated by the people in line behind you) I have everything written down and hand it to the ticket agent. All dates, seat selections, baggage info and since they have all your information in front of them because you just checked into a flight, they can process reservations quickly…most of the time.

I also look at the reservations online before heading to the airport, Allegiant publishes their flight schedule and rates at least 90 to 120 days out. That way I can book the best value/convenient flight.

2 Likes

The information that this article covers is good, but I hope the site will update with newer content. It will be of great help to your website.

1 Like

One of my favorite saving hacks is using the lottery, here in Maryland we have a second chance lottery, you scan in loosing lottery tickets for points for prizes or points for drawings of desired items, like a tech package, a camping pkg, vacation destination, exercise equipment, they change up as the drawing is won. The prizes are nice, anything from a magazine subscription to Omaha steaks, pet items, flat screens, to computers…and love the assortment of gift cards. We have a friend that works at a local convenience store that has the lottery, she saves the discarded tickets for us.Every little bit helps. So far we have gotten a laptop, umbrella, car mats, pet beds, and gift cards.

2 Likes

@redcatcec posted:

One of my favorite saving hacks is using the lottery, here in Maryland we have a second chance lottery, you scan in loosing lottery tickets for points for prizes or points for drawings of desired items, like a tech package, a camping pkg, vacation destination, exercise equipment, they change up as the drawing is won. The prizes are nice, anything from a magazine subscription to Omaha steaks, pet items, flat screens, to computers…and love the assortment of gift cards. We have a friend that works at a local convenience store that has the lottery, she saves the discarded tickets for us.Every little bit helps. So far we have gotten a laptop, umbrella, car mats, pet beds, and gift cards.

wow, this is something I didn’t know. That’s really amazing. Thanks for sharing your secret of savings :slight_smile:

It is illegal and against store policies to take customers discarded lottery tickets when you are an employee. They would lose their job if found out. I wouldn’t brag about your method. It puts a lot of people at a disadvantage.

Michigan had a second chance lottery to earn sporting event tickets and I would take tickets people thrown away at the store to enter this program until employee told me how they can’t do this and there is some sort of law she quoted.

IDK if the police would have to catch you dumpster diving for tickets? sounds ridiculous to me. lol! ha ha-

2 Likes

@mintjulep. That’s new to me…hadn’t heard of Allegiant Airlines before.

1 Like

Thanks Leslie Kay,

I did not know that it is illegal for store employees to take the discarded tickets. Good information.

1 Like

Hey Leslie Kay,

Many thanks for drawing my attention to the lottery tx. I called the MD lottery today and they told me it is not illegal for the employees to take the second chance loosing lottery tx from the trash. And to clear up the employee who has been “saving” tx for me, she simply texted me to let me know the bin was getting full. I appreciate you drawing my attention to this. A really good point!

1 Like

My hubby and i take our coupons for cereal, and CVS’ cereal coupons and bonus bucks and buy cereal on sale for $2.00 for a name brand boxes of cereal. Thurs. we bought 5 boxes of Kellogs cereal for$1.99. CVS allows us all to use their coupons and our coupons we get on line or from the newspaper together. the clerks are always impressed and congratulate us for being savvy shoppers. they also say they are learning how to shop themselves from us. Shelia W.

5 Likes

Very nice article

2 Likes

Thanks to all who replied. We have friends that we still play canasta with once a week.We potluck our meal and share our food, also. This past week we were to bring a fruit tray to go with the chilli they made. We went to our local grocery and found their reduced fruit and veg. bags. For$ 3.50 we bought enough oranges, apples, pears, and bananas, for the fruit tray but, we still have a fridge full of apples, oranges pears, lemons, limes, and a fruit stand of bananas, and our empty potato bin is now full of beautiful large bakeing sized potatos. Most all of the produce was quality, probably the remaining produce from the box. Never pass up the reduced produce!! Our store is kind enough to allow anyone to take out a bell pepper from their bag and swap it for a yellow crook neck squash. It is so nice when 2 or more families are there because we readily swap produce with one anothers bags and share eating and serving suggestions. Happy healthy eating to everyone. Shelia Wright

n

3 Likes