What did you have to fix after buying your first home?

The electrical wiring was a nightmare, but luckily didn’t cost me much to repair. Fortunately I’m an Electrician by trade. But it still took a good few days to get everything up to standard. And the previous owner was quite the gentleman and reimbursed me for the costs. He was also honest enough to tell me about the problem before I purchased the house.

Which is why it didn’t bother me much. It was not that big of a problem to me. If I had to get an independent contractor. Well, then it would’ve been exponentially more costly.

What did you have to fix after purchasing your first house? And did you know about the problem before buying the house?

DEON CHRISTIE a leaky sink didn’t no about it but easy fix.
The hole has needs to be insulted didn’t no about.
The roof my need to be done.

1 Like

Water-leaks can be quite annoying @bonnie.squires. And to get a contractor worth-wile at a reasonable cost can be more challenging than anticipated.

DEON CHRISTIE so very true what you said.

1 Like

Still haven’t made that life accomplishment yet… I was considering buying one soon but my wife and I have decided to travel instead.

2 Likes

Moore Income posted:

Still haven’t made that life accomplishment yet… I was considering buying one soon but my wife and I have decided to travel instead.

I think it’s a wise decision @moore.income. Which is why I only purchased my first house well into my 40’s. I traveled and explored first before settling down roots. Who knows, perhaps you fall in love with Botswana as much as I did. And please do not miss out on a trip to Kasane so you can take the boat cruise on the Chobe River!

1 Like

We never been out of the USA. But when we was younger
I think would should have travel more. Our goal was to get
an RV when we was old and kids out of the house and travel
the USA. But with our health problems I don’t see that happening
any time soon

1 Like

Bonnie Squires posted:

We never been out of the USA. But when we was younger
I think would should have travel more. Our goal was to get
an RV when we was old and kids out of the house and travel
the USA. But with our health problems I don’t see that happening
any time soon

Sorry to hear that @bonnie.squires. If it helps, remember that a change is as good as a holiday. I do it often, completely rearrange my house. Which normally include rerouting all network cabling. Just don’t forget you did when you walk in the dark…lol! Doesn’t end well…lol! crazy

1 Like

DEON CHRISTIE so very true I’m still unpacking things
and putting them away and giving things away that i don’t
need.

1 Like

My first home was a full gut job, luckily husband was a carpenter.

2 Likes

@mexpensive that is always handy! :)

2 Likes

MEXPENSIVE that is good your husband could
do the work. But it stinks you had to gut it.

1 Like

We got it for 20 grand in 1979. An older lady lived with no central heat until she was 80. Have always bought fixer-uppers.

2 Likes

MEXPENSIVE that is what we brought and with some
of the repairs that the owner maid on the outside and
inside of the house. It comes out to $24,000 with 2 percent
interest on the house. I’ll have the house paid off in 10 years.

2 Likes

Mexpensive posted:

My first home was a full gut job, luckily husband was a carpenter.

Always an advantage to have a tradesman near @mexpensive. The electrical work I had to do would’ve cost a tiny fortune. Luckily I’m an Electrician.

1 Like

Moore Income posted:

@mexpensive that is always handy! :)

That it is indeed @moore.income. We’re lucky enough to have several tradesman in the family. It does cut down repair costs rather considerably.

2 Likes

The plumbing, and then the electricity. Previous owners had been DIY’ers who didn’t check code or ignored it. Plumbing has been completely replaced and in some cases rerouted over the 20+ years I’ve been in the home. Electricity is still in the process of being replaced, the first thing was changing plugs from 2 prong to three prong.

2 Likes

EKUHLENS that can cost allot. I know from the trailer in NY
we had. On a house it be more.

1 Like

Bonnie Squires posted:

EKUHLENS that can cost allot. I know from the trailer in NY
we had. On a house it be more.

You’re quite right @bonnie.squires. Electrical and plumbing must be the two most expensive alterations and/or repairs.

1 Like

ekuhlens posted:

The plumbing, and then the electricity. Previous owners had been DIY’ers who didn’t check code or ignored it. Plumbing has been completely replaced and in some cases rerouted over the 20+ years I’ve been in the home. Electricity is still in the process of being replaced, the first thing was changing plugs from 2 prong to three prong.

Code is very important indeed @ekuhlens, especially with electricity. If that is done wrong, a fire hazard is imminent. Especially with too thin wiring connected to wrong value circuit breakers. In my profession I have seen this often. 1.5mm wiring for instance on 63A Mains Breakers. When this thickness of cable in fact can only handle around 15 Ampere. Which is how electrical fires start mostly. The wiring will heat up and eventually ignite the PVC insulation. When the (over rated) circuit breaker eventually trips the power, it is sadly too late.

If you need some advice with your electrical circuitry, I’ll be happy to help.

1 Like