Aldi is awesome

I went into Aldi today after my bike ride, and I was reminded of why I need to shop there regularly. The prices are amazing, the selection is good, and the store was really clean. I love Publix because of the selection, but the prices are much higher. I will continue to shop at Publix for certain items, but I’m going to make it a point to go to my local Aldi’s for everything else.

I got this really good Thanksgiving stuffing and cranberry pasta.

Does anyone else use Aldi’s and like them? Food is our single biggest expense after our mortgage, and I’m looking to reduce the amount we spend at Publix by $400-500 a month by shopping at Aldi’s.

6 Likes

Hi,

Yes I shop at Aldi’s almost exclusively. I was near Publix yesterday & needed two items so ran in. The prices were easily 2-3x more on everything. I’ve got two kids, one is 21, so I have many years of comparing prices! Aldi is the way to go. ?

I shop at Aldi’s every week and it is the primary way I buy groceries. I only hit another grocery store if I need something specific that Aldi’s does not offer, but that is not a regular thing. I cut my grocery bill almost in half as soon as Aldi’s opened up in my town.

1 Like

Groceries are one of the most flexible and largest expenses for my fixed income household. I have an aggressive plan of attack. Sundays I clip both digital and paper coupons. Then I read the ads for the 3 closest stores. I plot two spreadsheets, one with a column for each store for the items I can get there cheapest or freshest. My other worksheet is a weekly meal planner which will include items prepared from my pantry inventory, sale items, and coupons. I don’t do the shopping all at once; I combine it with other times when I will be out in the car and going past the store. Sometimes there are so few good deals in one of the stores that I will merge the items into another shopping list to save time. I buy in bulk or ahead if the price is right and my storage space is available. I have large bulky non-food items shipped for free to my home from local and online sellers. I use a cash-back card (3%-5%) to pay for the groceries and pay the card off each week from my budgeted funds. Many coupons now require purchases in multiples, so I use them either to stock up, gift, entertain, or split with a friend or family member. Unused coupons are shared with others. My family thinks I “too enthusiastic” but I can do all this while the football games are on tv, dinner is cooking, and laundry is drying. My average weekly expense for groceries is $75.

3 Likes

There is no Aldi where I live but when I shop my locally owned grocery store I check the markdown cooler. Last week I got several containers of Yoplait yougurt for $.25 each.

2 Likes

I haven’t shopped Aldi’s in quite some time, but they do have good prices. It’s not as convenient as the store where I shop now, but I do manage to save using my loyalty card, using coupons, shopping regular sales, and stocking up when they have BOGO.

1 Like

Aldis, Lidl, and Wal-Mart are my choices. Compare and buy with coupons as I see fit. I’ve saved hundreds over this year by using Ibotta for cashback at Wal-Mart, upload my receipts to Fetch for rewards, and use printable/circular coupons to reduce it even more. Some food items are free after I complete my ritual.

2 Likes

I like Aldi also but it’s just one store in my arsenal for staying within budget. Shopping at multiple stores also helps but those are mostly for loss leader deals, other types of rewards or BOGO’s. And yes, although it does not seem to be popular nowadays, I shop at Wal-Mart for a lot of basics. Not too fond of doing so for various reasons, but I will set those aside to get what I want at the price I want. I use coupons too but not as much as in previous years.

One strategy that will be a money saver for everyone is to buy in bulk when possible. By that I mean from sale to sale. A price book and usage book will come in handy for this. How long does that container of coffee last?..three months ago I purchased three 30.5 oz. Folgers Medium roast coffees on special. That was the limit I could buy, but I already knew that each one would last us about a month because I have learned by keeping a usage book.

Plus I also got all three for free because I had reward points at Winn Dixie. That freed up a bit of extra monthly monies that I could apply to other good deals. And that in turn freed up…you can begin to see how this works.

I buy boneless chicken breast when it goes on sale for $1.69 a lb. at Aldi and buy enough to keep me supplied to the next sale. Some of it is cooked, then chopped for casseroles/soups. (2 cups/1 lb.) Some I cut into ‘fingers’ to grill or for recipes that call for larger pieces. We almost exclusively eat ground turkey. This is also purchased in bulk. I brown it and put 2 cups per freezer bag to use in place of recipes that call for 1 lb. ground beef. It saves time and money. When my children were growing up and we were doing soccer, dance, etc., one of my fastest meals was angel hair pasta, pre-cooked beef/turkey, pre-made sauce (bought on sale!), premade salad and French bread purchased from the clearance rack. I literally could have a good dinner on the table in less time and far less money than it took for a fast food trip.

We do not exclusively eat ground turkey/chicken breast/thighs though. Our menus also include different cuts of pork. But we rarely, rarely eat red meat. Not only because it usually cost less but because of our physician’s advice.

I’ve also made my own F.E.E.D. cookbook. In order to make the cut a recipe must meet four criteria: FAST, EASY, ECONOMICAL and DELICIOUS. If I had to pick one item that helps me most to stay within a budget, then this personalized cookbook would be my choice.

I do a few things to prepare for grocery shopping: First, how much is left in the budget! Then what is my week going to be like (what is my family up to for the week). You do not want complicated meals on those weeks when you are out every night. Trust me on this. Look at the week’s sale papers, make up my menu plan (refer to FEED) using sale items as much as possible (*Do I have coupons to use?) and make my grocery list and errand order (so as to not backtrack). I also use colored pens to highlight what I’m going to buy at each store. Aldi is purple, Publix is green and so forth.

I have a coupon notebook and I’ve made up my own forms personalized to our needs.(i.e. grocery list, menu plan, errand order, etc.). Pinterest probably has some forms but I like my own as they are geared specifically to ‘my’ family’s needs.

There are so many ways to save money on everything not just groceries but it does take time and there is a learning curve. I’ve actually only touched the tip of the iceberg. You may not be able to shop at different stores but most of the above strategies can be applied to any one store.

My husband I are recent empty nesters and our budget (for groceries, cleaning items, personal care/OTC meds and pet care, etc.) is $350 to $400 a month. Not too shabby considering we pay about $20 for specialized eye drops and $35/$40 for cat (2) care each month. And our meals are reasonably healthy with a lot of variety. We save eating out for special occasions so I cook dinner most nights. We eat leftovers the next day for lunch. Make good use of a crockpot and freezer meals. We have regular breakfast during weekdays and “Big Breakfast” (special on Saturdays). We grill out on Fridays and Saturdays all thru the year.

I also have a place within this budget for entertaining, potlucks, to make dinner for someone who has a new baby or are experiencing something unforeseen. These meals are a little more ‘fancy’ than our regular meals.

I’ve taught frugal glasses over the years and these ideas are just a ‘few’ of the things I do to stay in budget in all areas of our lives.

Is it worth it? Yes, yes, yes! And for some can actually be fun. I’m always challenging myself to get the best goods for the best price. And I’m always trying to learn ways to be better at being frugal so I can put those monies toward things that are important to us in this season of life…ahem, visiting grandchildren!

“An investment in knowledge always pays the biggest dividend.” --Benjamin Franklin

7 Likes

Sans and BJ wholesale are great for certain items. You have to know your prices per item or pound truly compare. Shopping in bulk is not alway cheaper. For cleaning supplies check out Lowes especially for sale items

I was at Aldi’s this week stocking up on butter, stocks, etc. For a change, I didn’t purchase any meats (already stocked up). It is not my “always” store but like a poster mentioned earlier, it is just one in my arsenal of attempting to save on groceries. Now, if I could just stop all the little, mindless, snack shops at convenience stores confused

Aldi is my go to store for most everything these days since I began slowly removing processed foods and replacing them with veggies & fruit. The prices are better and the quality is the same.

1 Like

Good ideas from everyone!

i shop at ALDI they have great prices and their products are good

Love Aldi’s produce, especially when it is on sale. If you have a LIDL near you, they have great prices too. Last week I bought butter from them for $1.49/lb, this week $1.85, still cheaper than major stores.