Cutting the Cord

I’m looking at possibly ending my cable services in a couple of months when my contract ends. I already have Netflix and also Hulu(free through my subscription with spotify). Have any of you cut the cable cord and what other services have you used to watch your TV/movies? I’ve heard of Sling, HBO Go, and CBS All Access but i want to make sure i choose the right service combination that cutting the cord would be worth it financially. Thoughts?

I haven’t had cable for most of 20 years. Admittedly, I don’t watch much TV (maybe a few hours a week at the most), but when we do, the kids and I utilize Amazon Prime and Netflix. I sometimes look at the cable packages and consider it, but I just can’t bring myself to pay all that.

4 Likes

Growing up, my family never had cable. I still don’t and don’t think I probably ever will.

My wife and I have Netflix but just ended that too because we barely even use it.

We still have Amazon Prime but I split the cost with my mom so it comes in really handy and I don’t have to pay much.

Most of the things I end up watching are business videos on YouTube.

My wife and I prefer to save the money on cable/streaming etc and instead spend that money on travel.

Travel can be more costly but it is something we enjoy far more than sitting on the couch and watching something.

(Also, on the occasion we want to see a new movie, we go to the theater on their $5 Tuesdays)

2 Likes

BJLEE
We havern’t had cable in over 5 years. When we moved
to our last place we lived in. But there is all so Pluto its
free haven’t really used it much hubby has it on his computer.
Youtube red i think its called. Amazon stick or Roku stick to.

1 Like

@bonnie.squires how does Roku work for you?

2 Likes

I have a Roku TV and an additional Roku stick on another TV… I LOVE ROKU!! I also have Amazon Prime, NETFLIX, and Google Fiber TV. I don’t ever watch LIVE TV neither does my son!! Though my favorite show is THIS IS US ON NBC!!! I just watch it on my NBC app, whenever I want to. But the catch with the major channel apps is that I have to put in my GOOGLE FIBER ACCOUNT INFO TO BE ABLE TO USE THEM! That is why I still have the google TV… THE GOOGLE FIBER INTERNET IS EXTREMELY FAST AND MY SON IS A GAMER/YOUTUBE WATCHER!! Teenagers!! Ugh I must say I LOVE HOW FAST IT IS TOOOO!!!

3 Likes

I just got Roku and love it!

3 Likes

Beth Getzelmann

On Apr 26, 2019, at 3:02 PM, The Penny Hoarder Community <community@thepennyhoarder.com> wrote:
That is so Awesome keep me posted as to how you like it

1 Like

BJLEE i don’t have Roku but i heard nothing but good
from a friend of mine. i’m not sure if sling is offering
a free Roku but you my want to check it out.

1 Like

@bethgetz I haven’t heard of Google fiber is this something new?

2 Likes

Is Roku similar to an amazon firestick?

1 Like

BJLEE posted:

Is Roku similar to an amazon firestick?

Yes, it’s my understanding they’re pretty similar. My friends who’ve used the Firestick complained about it freezing more often than the Roku. I haven’t had any problems with my Roku.

2 Likes

I have the firestick now, which is what i use my netflix and spotify on

2 Likes

How do you like it?

2 Likes

It works well for me…now. i have had some previous issues in the past but i got it all worked out thanks to google. I’m thinking that if they are virtually the same then there may not be a need to switch to Roku, unless it has cheaper options. @briana

1 Like

That makes sense. I got my Roku for $35 but I know there were a few cheaper options. I think you can pay as little as $25 one time.

2 Likes

@briana do you subscribe to cable or use streaming apps on roku?

1 Like

I use Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon. I can also stream a few of stations like the CW for free.

2 Likes

Okay that sounds good. I’ll be trying to weigh my options these next couple of months. Thanks so much for the insight

1 Like

I have cut the cord on cable, but I am also thinking about letting prime go as well, with inflation and all the other high prices going on I just want a simple package that doesn’t cost a lot of money. Don’t know if "Roku is better than “The Amazon fire stick”.