Do You Ever Pick up A Stray Penny?

Lately my husband and I have been finding so much stray change on the ground we decided to place into a separate bowl to see out of curiosity what it would come to at the end of the year. Near the end of 2018 we were out walking our dogs before a big snowstorm and my dog was over by a tree so I walked over there and what looked like a green leaf was actually a $10. Very cool.

We started a separate bowl now in 2019.

So do you keep that change or throw it and make a wish??

12 Likes

When a penny is heads up - I pick it up for luck! Not logical at all, but Iā€™ve been doing it since I was a kid.

8 Likes

@gina.o YES!! Me too. Find a penny, pick it up. All day long youā€™ll have good luck! thumb

6 Likes

I definitely keep it! Once found a $20, wish that happened more often!

6 Likes

Always! Just today in fact. Some good places to look:

• Restaurant drive-thrus
  • Public Transportation stations
  • Near vending machines
  • retail and grocery store check out lanes

Loose change of all kinds really add up!

MDF

7 Likes

Watch out for the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.

7 Likes

4F9A10C2-0C1E-40F7-86C8-45311BC8357CEver since my parents passed on, I like to think that when I see a penny that itā€™s a penny from heaven. I have been collecting them and have placed them in a cute little trinket. I even narked it as ā€œMom and Dadā€™s Pennies from Heavenā€. The funny thing is that when I go for walks I say , ok mom, send me a penny to know youā€™re thinking of me. And guess what. Almost every time I say that I actually find a penny!

11 Likes

When I was four years old, my neighbor said something that stuck with me. ā€œPennies add up to dimes, and dimes add up to dollars.ā€ Iā€™m forty years old now and still pick up money whenever I find it, even if itā€™s only a penny, because Iā€™ve internalized that mentality. Iā€™m on SSDI but I always seem to have enough money for my needs and some wants. A German proverb says ā€œTake care of the pfennings and the farthings will take care of themselves,ā€ and itā€™s true. But Iā€™m preaching to the choir here.

6 Likes

BeckAtsila posted:

When I was four years old, my neighbor said something that stuck with me. ā€œPennies add up to dimes, and dimes add up to dollars.ā€ Iā€™m forty years old now and still pick up money whenever I find it, even if itā€™s only a penny, because Iā€™ve internalized that mentality. Iā€™m on SSDI but I always seem to have enough money for my needs and some wants. A German proverb says ā€œTake care of the pfennings and the farthings will take care of themselves,ā€ and itā€™s true. But Iā€™m preaching to the choir here.

I also got that saying from a neighbor growing up. Still collect the stray change that has been so easily discarded by others. Goes into change jarā€¦

5 Likes

I always pick up spare change I find, and save all my change! It all goes into an empty 2 liter soda bottle that I cleaned out, and when itā€™s full, Iā€™ll put it towards a vacation or something else special.

5 Likes

Gina O posted:

When a penny is heads up - I pick it up for luck! Not logical at all, but Iā€™ve been doing it since I was a kid.

if its heads down, do you just leave it? Just curious. Is head down considered bad luck?

6 Likes

I always pick up money I find in my journeys. I have found 5cents already today! I have found a few $10 & $20s over the years too, its very exciting. I like to save my ā€˜found moneyā€™ for travel (along with money I win from contests too).

Here we also have deposits on bottle returns, so my kids pick up bottles & donate the money every few months to a childrenā€™s charity that has helped my son in the past.

A couple quotes that have stuck with me from years ago are: Suze Ormond - ā€˜If you disrespect money, it will disrespect youā€™ Then she went on to talk about picking up pennies you find on the ground.

Oprah said years ago on her show ā€˜if you worry about money, you will have money problemsā€™. I try not to let money consume my thoughts. A positive attitude in life helps too.

7 Likes

Penny2 posted:

Lately my husband and I have been finding so much stray change on the ground we decided to place into a separate bowl to see out of curiosity what it would come to at the end of the year. Near the end of 2018 we were out walking our dogs before a big snowstorm and my dog was over by a tree so I walked over there and what looked like a green leaf was actually a $10. Very cool.

We started a separate bowl now in 2019.

So do you keep that change or throw it and make a wish??

Love it

4 Likes

Great- I heard some repeats from when I was a kid and that is so awesome

THANKS!

3 Likes

Bee410 posted:

4F9A10C2-0C1E-40F7-86C8-45311BC8357CEver since my parents passed on, I like to think that when I see a penny that itā€™s a penny from heaven. I have been collecting them and have placed them in a cute little trinket. I even narked it as ā€œMom and Dadā€™s Pennies from Heavenā€. The funny thing is that when I go for walks I say , ok mom, send me a penny to know youā€™re thinking of me. And guess what. Almost every time I say that I actually find a penny!

So cool!!!

5 Likes

Vivian and I pick up all pennies we find on the ground. In 1984, the year we were married, we found $16.00 in pennies. Last year, 2018, we found $24.00 in pennies. Itā€™s varied throughout the years, but we love doing it, just to see how much money people throw away. I totaled it up, and for 35 years, weā€™ve gotten $497.00 in pennies. Just imagine how much we made in quarters, dimes and nickels. The old saying by Benjamin Franklin, ā€œA penny saved is a penny earnedā€, is correct. If Iā€™m wrong about who said it, please correct me.

6 Likes

I always pick up money! Found .49 cents today at Disneyland! I also pick up cans and bottles. Made $10 on that recently. laugh

7 Likes

Lucy posted:

I always pick up money! Found .49 cents today at Disneyland! I also pick up cans and bottles. Made $10 on that recently. laugh

We pick up bottles too. My kids donate that money to a childrenā€™s charity that helped my son in the past. I always have a plastic bag in my purse!

4 Likes

We have several huge black garbage bags full of aluminum cans. Weā€™ve also got some tin cans in other bags. We used to go ā€œcanningā€ along the roads in GA where we lived and I made on the average of $ 150.00 per week doing that. That was back when aluminum cans were selling for 64 cents a lb. Now theyā€™re not anywhere near that! Tin cans are only about three cents a lb now. But, every little bit helps. We also pick up used car and lawn mower batteries. Like my grandfather always saidā€¦if theyā€™re going to throw it away and you can make money on it, then make the money. I agree.

6 Likes

This is a great example of what is really out there! Thanks for sharing.

4 Likes