Filing for bankruptcy

Does anyone know if American Express can take money out of your bank account and freeze your assets I am in the middle of bankruptcy I go to court November but last year yeah they froze my bank account and took all my money I have now opened up a bank account again because of the Postal Service not delivering my unemployment checks and basically the only way to get my unemployment checks is direct deposit I still have not yet to receive a stimulus check again due to not having direct deposit so I’m going to take a chance and open up a checking account again and hopefully they won’t touch my money my question to everyone is can they garnish are unemployment and stimulus checks they never got a shared my paycheck at my job but they did freeze my Assets in my bank and after 8 months my bank was forced to give up my money I want to put this all behind me and I’m working diligently with the lawyers to get this done but unfortunately it cost a lot of money to file bankruptcy and when the pandemic hit my funds were very low but I managed to come up with it and we’re in the process now most of the paperwork is in and we’re getting ready to file so I’m just wondering if anybody knows if they can take your unemployment money or your stimulus check I read that creditors cannot touch your stimulus check I don’t know if they can touch your unemployment so that would be my question if anybody has any advice I’d greatly appreciate it I voice command so if things didn’t come out clear sorry for that thank you in advance.

If they have a judgement against you, then they can take whatever money is in your bank account. I answered this in your other thread. If you already have a lawyer and he/she has started the bankruptcy, he/she needs to notify AmEx and then they cannot take money in your account. Taking money in your account, regardless of where it comes from, is not the same as garnishing you. You owe them money, they have a judgement that says they can legally get your money and the bank has to legally give them money that is in your account, regardless of its origins.

1 Like

Once you file for BK you receive an automatic stay and No One can garnish your accounts and IF they did they will have to return the money. Contact your attorney. ASAP.

1 Like