Gambling

What do do in a situation where you tried to gamble to make ends meet but ended up worse off than before.

1 Like

Rule #1: Don’t gamble if you can’t afford to lose

2 Likes

I guess stop the bleeding. Cut your losses and try get an extra job or pick up extra hours. Cut your expenses as much as possible for a short time to make up. Things such as cable and internet can go unless that is a way to receive income. If you have space and allowed, get a roommate. I don’t know how deep the whole is, but you will get out eventually if you increase your income and lower your expenses. The sooner the better.

1 Like

I’m sorry you gambled and lost. It depends what happened, though. Can you speak to someone about a way to mitigate the problem, such as lower costs? Change some lifestyle things for a short period of time? Can you take a breather for a few days and not think about it and look at it with fresh eyes at that point?

I’ve had times where I tried to make things better and it ended up worse, and I usually take a few days to cool off and write down in columns on a pad what my options and potential outcomes are.

1 Like

It really depends on the kind of loss you are talking about.

If you are able to dissect why you are in such a tough place, maybe start with 1 thing you are able to change and hit it hard. It takes a lot of strength and discipline, and you can’t quit. If you feel it is an insurmountable situation, you’ll have to depend on someone else doing it for you. Do you have someone like that in your life?

Step 1 would be to stop feeling regret and wishing you can go back and change things, because reality is you can’t and the sooner you can accept that the sooner you can move forward. Step 2 is to take a look at your situation and come up with a game plan and break it down into steps. If you feel overwhelmed, you may need to start with small short term steps so that you can build your confidence and work on feeling positive.